Would you sell?

Associate
I have just bought a Tamron 2.8 17-50 to replace my D40 kit lens. I also own a 50mm, although have had to manually focus with this lens since the D40 does not have a motor in the body. Now for the most part, this has not made a slightest bit of difference to me taking shots; although recently when I wanted to take some long exposures at night and struggled a tiny bit. So would you sell the 50mm? I am in two minds, although do need a new tripod, so could use some of the cash to put towards a new one. The Tamron is incredibly sharp, so is the 1.8 of the prime worth hanging on to it.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
:confused:

Associate
I'd hang on to the prime. It will be good for studio type shots, portraits, still life etc. It's not a huge amount of money after all :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Keep it. I find it surprising how much I use my 50, despite all the other lenses in my bag being L glass. Just such a brilliant lens for the dosh.

Caporegime
I have just bought a Tamron 2.8 17-50 to replace my D40 kit lens. I also own a 50mm, although have had to manually focus with this lens since the D40 does not have a motor in the body. Now for the most part, this has not made a slightest bit of difference to me taking shots; although recently when I wanted to take some long exposures at night and struggled a tiny bit. So would you sell the 50mm? I am in two minds, although do need a new tripod, so could use some of the cash to put towards a new one. The Tamron is incredibly sharp, so is the 1.8 of the prime worth hanging on to it.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
:confused:

If you want a 50mm af-s prime the newest Nikon 1.4 and Sigma 1.4 have AF

The brokeh will be much better on the 1.4 50mm than the Tamron, the n1.8 is less impressive but probably still better than the Tamron.

Soldato
SELL the D40 n buy a D60 upwards..Then those lenses will work far better..

bad advice, the d60 still has no focusing motor.....

I would be looking at getting a D90 though, you already have decent enough glass to take advantage of it now so get a body worth using! :p

Associate
my 50mm stays on my camera all the time. It is the most used lens I have and I love it.

I agree with other peoples comments about upgrading your body to something with a AF motor.

As for the tripod, I bought a video camera one off the bay for £10 and it has yet to fail me. Yes it's quite heavy, but that means it's stable in the wind. Granted I have to take the camera off the tripod and move the shoe round 90 degrees whenever I want to change between portrait and landscape, but hey for a tenner.....

hope it helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom