Would You Send a Photo/Scan of Your Passport Over E-mail?

Soldato
I think no, because it's not going to be end-to-end encrypted, making you vulnerable to identity theft. I would be sending from Outlook online, but even though that might be encrypted(?), the recipient e-mail may not be. So, I think it's not good practice to e-mail a copy of your passport.

So, is there an easy secure way to send a photo of yr passport over the internet? Or would you just refuse and get a paper copy to them?

Thanks

Soldato
It's pretty easy to see if a recipients email server is using dkim, and these days most should be otherwise google etc have a habit of marking their emails as spam.
Else share it via onedrive. Create a docx with the image and pwd protect it if you want that extra layer. - no one is going to go to the efforts required to brute force a docx
Sending a rar file is just going to be met with confusion by 99% of recipients.

Soldato
I wouldn't send it over email.

I actually did send my passport scan over email (during the pandemic) to register for something but blurring out sensitive information beforehand such as passport number, etc. I didn't really mind since my passport was expiring soon anyway.

What are you sending a copy of your passport for?

Last edited:
Soldato
How secure is sending a paper copy in the mail?
Betting most people have had stuff go missing in the mail
At some point in their life
And the person at the other end still has a copy
Of your passport regardless how you send it
So you're relying on them
Not to do something nefarious with it

Soldato
Depends on the recipient, risk wise is't pretty darn low if it's a reputable domain with protections in place.
Bottom line is you can be as protective as you want of us but once they have it, how will they look after your data?
If it's a regular business process I'd have expected them to have a secure portal or tool to use e.g. egress.

Back
Top Bottom