Would you take your bike on a 3 minute journey in the wet?

Soldato
Riding in the wet should be positively encouraged simply because apart from getting you wet ( duh?!! ) it provides valuable experience in rider control which absolutely makes you a smoother, more accomplished and safer rider in the dry.

Soldato
a lot of my friends are bikers, they say going out in wet is insanity.

there not real bikers then
guess there fair weather riders
i used to ride my cbr600 365 days

Riding in the wet should be positively encouraged simply because apart from getting you wet ( duh?!! ) it provides valuable experience in rider control which absolutely makes you a smoother, more accomplished and safer rider in the dry.
your so right, i ended up a better rider in the wet than in the dry compared to my mates
yes i didnt like getting wet but i loved riding in the wet

Last edited:
Soldato
Right, those saying that riding in the rain is a good thing, I 100% agree, the feel for a bike is much different.

However, those claiming people not riding in the rain are not real bikers, how do you know that they simply own a car and have a bike for fun sun times?

My self, I did 2 full winters (every working day for 2 years) to my work in aldermaston (old job). This was around 15 miles per trip, so 30 miles a day, not long I grant this. But still, in the frost/rain/sleet/floods ect ect on a sports bike (was a Ducati 748) was valuable experiance but also the most miserable time I have had on a bike.

For that, now I have a job within walking distance, if it's raining, I will go out of my way to avoid using the bike. It's simply not fun nor big to say you do it. But, in a round about way, it is a experiance which will only help with your riding.

ags

Associate
Rain is nothing and as people say it's excellent experience, just make sure you take it easy on corners and roundabouts, nice and smooth not jerky and fast and you'll be fine, it's only a bit of water!...

Associate
Definitely, it'll make you appreciate those sunny days all the more!

Plus, if you avoid riding in the rain, sooner or later you're going to get caught out by a sudden shower, it's much better to have some experience of riding in the wet already than having to learn on the hoof, imho.

Soldato
Averaging 60 MPH in the wet could be the problem!

??

Riding at speed on a bike should be fine in the wet unless you're turning.

I go down the motorway between 70-80mph in the wet and it's fine on the straights/moderate corners. Only things I do different in the wet, is take corners, brake and accelerate a lot smoother/slower than I would in the dry.

Soldato
a lot of my friends are bikers, they say going out in wet is insanity.

They are not bikers. They ride just to say they have a bike and impress girls.... :p

Riding in the wet is awesome from a sklls point of view as it helps you learn so much about stuff as you are constantly thinking and planning ahead.

FWBs are crap riders for a reason...

I used to be pretty good in the wet - wet race tyres are nearly as quick as dry race tyres! <10% off the dry times unless lots of standing water!!!

Be smooth, not jerky, brake upright, and on the road avoid white lines and manholes.... :)

Makes you so much more aware. :)

Soldato
And don't panic. You won't instantly die if you go over a white line or a slippery manhole cover, but plan ahead to avoid them.

Braking should be progressive (though you should still be able to do a stoppie in the wet ;)

Associate
I'm 6'2, about 18 stone and I ride a YBR 125. That thing dosen't like stopping in the dry never mind the wet, yet I ride it to work every day, take my time and leave big enough gaps and I have had with no issues. Well, other than leaving my visor open to far and my glasses getting all wet a couple of days ago.

To paraphrase the famous saying - There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong riding style.

Back
Top Bottom