Wow Digi TV for PC £23.44 right here at ocuk

WatchTower said:
Videa DVT-USB Digital Video Broadcasting Terrestrial Receiver (AV-000-VI) £23.44

1) Is this as good as a bargin as it looks?

2) Is there a reason it so cheap?

Cheep useualy means rubish when it comes to hardware, but i'm not so sure it applies to TV cards, as i think they're all pretty basic and do the same thing, lets face it it's not exactly hard to decode a digital tv signal! but what useualy lets and TV card down is it's software, i'm guessing that the hardware will be as good as anything else available, but it's the software that'll really let it down (but that's just an educated guess)

Solouko said:
but what useualy lets and TV card down is it's software, i'm guessing that the hardware will be as good as anything else available, but it's the software that'll really let it down

If the drivers are BDA then you can easily use the adapter with Windows MCE or excellent open sourse programs like Media Portal.

These USB DVB Sticks use pretty much the same hardware with the main CPU doing all of the decoding work.

This looks good

Compro VideoMate DVB-U2200 Digital USB External TV Tuner Box - Retail (GX-003-CP) £58.16

Supports HDTV at 1080 something or other. How good is the company Compro with TV cards and do you thing it'll support that XP media 2005 thingy?

The picture shows the DVB-T receiver in three colours (green, blue and what looks like silver) but does anyone know which of the three OCUK has in stock?

WatchTower said:
This looks good

Compro VideoMate DVB-U2200 Digital USB External TV Tuner Box - Retail (GX-003-CP) £58.16

Supports HDTV at 1080 something or other. How good is the company Compro with TV cards and do you thing it'll support that XP media 2005 thingy?

I wouldn't spend that much on a usb tuner, uk hdtv is mpeg4 not mpeg2 so it wont support uk hdtv, your pc would have to decode it, and recording would slow down your pc loads or take up gbs of space. Added to that most pci-cards support hdtv.

In the end I bought this

Leadtek Winfast DTV-Dongle Digital TV USB2.0 Tuner (GX-075-LT) Price: £34.95 (£41.07 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Software
WinFast, Video Studio 9 SE DVD, PowerDVD 6, Muvee 3, Adobe Reader and Ulead Cool3D Version 3.0 - DVD MovieFactory 4

Mine was delivered today, it doesn't appear to use BDA drivers. The supplied software found 26 tv channels and 20 radio stations using only the built in aerial. The also supply a little aerial that you can use instead but this didn't seem to have any effect on the signal.

I'm in the centre of Brighton about a mile away from the digital transmitter apparently, the picture is perfectly watchable if not perfect.

So overall, for the money i'm pretty happy :)

edit - just disabled quick scan and managed to get 35 tv chans and 26 radio

Last edited:
I went out and bought a £20 DVB-T aerial that has a booster. Now I think I've all the channels. I also at to move around my room to find the best spot for my aerial.

I have about 34 channels this includes Radio and TV.

I was gonna order 1 today, but i'm wayyy to slow, all sold out.

That's great how you get a good reception, you only live one mile away from the transmitter. I wonder for the ppl who live further from their closest transmitter, how good the signal is using only the aerials in the package.

hmm was gonna ask how many toes you had, but nvm ;P

I've got the Freecom USB tuner and that picked up diddly squat with the supplied aerial. Luckily I have a socket in my room thats connected to the rooftop aerial so I can get all the channels.

Tip for tuning.

Make sure you do a scan during the day and again in the evening. Some channels only start trasnmitting from 6pm so if you only scanned during the day these channels won't appear in your list.

Back
Top Bottom