Wow just got the Noctua NH-D15

Associate
Just got the Noctua NH-D15 from overclockers, installed last night, and ran small-fft's over night - all I can say is wow! It's 10 degrees cooler than my Corsair H80 on my 2600k running at 4.5GHz (which unfortunately needed a fair bit of voltage to get to). Had my corsair for years and never thought air could be better than water but decided to give it a shot when I wasn't happy with my overclock hitting 87c - it's running great now at 76c - very pleased :)

Oh and incase anyone is still thinking it's quite hot - the ambient in here is 30c, so it's not too bad I'd say. Obviously don't have a winter test run yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been a big fan of Noctua for years. If you've got space in your case, they are quieter, cheaper, better performing, easier to maintain and no risk of leaks compared to the current fad for AIO's.

Associate
Until I switched to X99 and an AIO, I had the NH-D14. It was a great cooler, extremely well made and very easy to install. If I go back to a big air cooler again, I'll be seriously considering a Noctua.

Soldato
They take real pride in their products and slap a great warranty on them (making other companies play catch up in that respect). It ends up costing a fair bit, but they aren't just doing it for the money, imo. Not easy to find that balance these days. And their customer support is without equal (not that it will be needed very often, unless changing CPU sockets and needing new mounting brackets for which they offer lifetime support).

Soldato
Can confirm, just swapped from an Antec H2O 950 to the D15 last night. My 4970k went from 50 to 30 at idle, and just peaks over 60 at full load, looking forward to seeing what overclock I can get.

Associate
I'd never buy anything else, shame the fans are that awful brown colour, but other than that Noctua products are worth their hefty price

Soldato
The reason I wouldn't want a D15 is that it covers the RAM/GPU slot sometimes otherwise it's a no brainer, I actually like the look of them.

Soldato
Noctua do single tower coolers that are almost as good, and have better access underneath, so you can choose to sacrifice a few degrees for better clearance.

Soldato
The reason I wouldn't want a D15 is that it covers the RAM/GPU slot sometimes otherwise it's a no brainer, I actually like the look of them.
The NH-D15S has same pipes and fins as D15, but the pipes are formed to different patterns to make base offset so fin pack is offset way from PCIe sockets.

The NH-U14S is almost as good, but it also blocks PCIe sockets.

Noctua's top cooling coolers are really no better and sometimes not as good as other top tier coolers in the same class. In fact the old NH-D14 cools at least as well as the NH-D15. Scythe Fuma TRUE Spirit 140 Power and Thermalright Le Grand Macho do a better job than D15 according to most testing, my own included.

Last edited:
Associate
I had to move one fan further out inorder to install my ram, but it was worth it. 6600k overclocked to 4.6ghz only hit 51c with fans ticking over with a cpu-z stress test of 20mins.
I now have a 4.2ghz overclock and in a room of around 25-26c my cpu under load only hit 45c. Amazing cooler without the risk of water leaks and pump fails.

Associate
I'd never buy anything else, shame the fans are that awful brown colour, but other than that Noctua products are worth their hefty price

Been using mine for years excellent product and agree, wish it was a different colour! lol

Replaced the fans with ML140s (kept the NH A15 fans for intakes) purely for aesthetics. They are slightly inferior noise wise, but couldn't do the brown.

Great cooler though, can't stand the pump noise on AIO coolers

Soldato
Good coolers - yes. But took my ages to install. One end would lock in and then couldn't get the other side to. Then that one would pop out, was a disaster. Got it screwed in after 20 minutes!

Back
Top Bottom