WPA2 security possibly comprised - disclosure soon.

Caporegime
An air of unease set into the security circles on Sunday as they prepared for the disclosure of high-severe vulnerabilities in the Wi-Fi Protected Access II protocol that make it possible for attackers to eavesdrop Wi-Fi traffic passing between computers and access points.

The proof-of-concept exploit is called KRACK, short for Key Reinstallation Attacks. The research has been a closely guarded secret for weeks ahead of a coordinated disclosure that's scheduled for 8 a.m. Monday. An advisory the US CERT recently distributed to about 100 organizations described the research this way:

https://arstechnica.com/information...l-leaves-wi-fi-traffic-open-to-eavesdropping/

Going to be interesting to see the details of this if it’s true.

Permabanned
Huge indeed! holy ****

I remember when you could crack WEP in a matter of seconds with Aircrack but we had WPA/WPA2 to protect us. Now this.. there is no other alternative right now.

Obviously you will need to be in the vicinity of the connection so it's not like you are vulnerable to everyone on the net.

Soldato
Time to always use VPN over wi-fi then or use a cable...

And to think I get called paranoid at work for saying I've never trusted wireless. :p

Soldato
A bit misleading but also quite worrying for gov/business. Wpa2 hasn't been cracked in the sense of wep so no getting access to your neighbours WiFi. And tbf most of the traffic between router / device is encrypted by other means on top of WPA. Ie https.

Soldato
Article.

It seems today's security is tomorrows vulnerability.

If this does prove to be true it pretty much invalidates every single WiFi router in existence! (That uses WPA2, which as far as I know is the highest level of encryption in home WiFi routers and most business WiFi as well)

Man of Honour
Think I've got all the kit for WPA2 with an enterprise setup back end wise :s not sure what that is like on device support though.

Soldato
I already use my own VPN when connecting to insecure WiFi networks but the problem is going to be at home - I can no longer trust my own WiFi network is secure. TP-Link haven't yet responded regarding software updates, and the fact that their website and forum don't even use HTTPS doesn't give me much hope.

Back
Top Bottom