WRC 2012

Soldato
Would be real shame, hopefully with the new regs and with Loeb not full time it'll change things up a bit as it really needs something. Hopefully they can get decent TV coverage next year.

Caporegime
What's the reasons for going to 1.6T engines? Please don't tell me it's global warming?

Going to 1.6? They have been 1.6 for 2 years now.

Its to make it more relevant to the real world, and I can see the FIA's point. 1.6 turbos are going to be everywhere in normal road cars soon. Small capacity turbo engines are the future for road cars, so its pointless having a road car based racing series that uses a totally unrelated engine technology.

The WTCC (which is also FIA regulated) is using 1.6T's too, and the initial plans for F1 (before Ferrari cried) was to use them too.

Smaller and lighter than the engines they replace, but just as powerful. Makes sense really.

Of course the petrol head side of me thinks its rubbish, but for the sports to survive they need manufacturer investment, and manufacturers will only invest in motorsport if they can show off technology that can then be sold to the customer. But as Marvin said, thats all irrelivent if theres no media coverage of WRC.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, my apolgies, I thought they were coming in for 2013, but I have no idea why.

I have to add though, I think F1 would be absolutely awful with 1.6 engines. Then again what do I know, i'd have them back on 30,000RPM V12s if I had my way. :p

Caporegime
They never had 30,000RPM V12s :p

The fastest revving engine used in a race was a Cosworth V8 back in about 2005ish that hit just over 20,000RPM.

1.6 inline 4 F1 engines would have been... odd. They would have been small and light, but odd. However I do fully understand why the FIA wanted to do it. The V6 turbos we have ended up with are not relevant to any road car maker really.

But that's F1 which has little influence on road cars. It makes sense for road car based formulas like WRC to use road car relevant engines.

Back
Top Bottom