Wrong RAM memory recognition

Associate
I recently added 4 GB DDR-2 to a motherboard, the modules are 4 boards, 1 GB each, and all four boards are exactly the same brand and frequency. But the problem is that on the POST SCREEN it shows that the total RAM memory is 2.5 GB, but in the BIOS it shows that the total RAM memory is 4 GB... I can't understand why this problem is happening...

By the way, it shows the same result when he loads WINDOWS-8.1 ENTERPRISE, given that the operating system is 64 bit! I read on the internet on other forums that this problem with recognizing all the RAM memory could be solved only by installing some server version of WINDOWS... I removed 8.1 ENTERPRISE and installed WINDOWS SERVER 2008 R2 and of course the operating system is again 64 bits, but when I right click on the icon My Computer / Properties / System again it shows that the RAM is 2.5 GB

So even though i installed a server version of WINDOWS SERVER 2008 R2 64 bits when it loads the OS it keeps showing in System that the total memory is only 2.5 GB
I would love to have all my 4 GB of RAM to be recognized and usable...but how?

Please let someone with more experience help.
Thanks in advance.

Motherboard: Asrock Conroe 1333-DVI/H

Socket - 775

Chipset:

North Bridge: Intel Lakeport-G i945G

South Bridge: Intel 82801GB ICH7

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 / 3,00 GHZ

Videocard: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT/ video memory 1 GB

RAM MEMORY - 4 tiles, Hynix DDR2-800 (400 MHZ)

Soldato
If you bring up taskmanager and under performance tab, click on ram and see if the os can see all 4gb, i suspect that windows is using the other 1.5gb to run all its background tasks, you may see the as reserved in taskmanger, if you do then you have your answer, i run 32gb kit of ram and just in windows with minimal stuff open i use 6.5gb (around 10gb is system reserved (Cached)) but thats windows 11 for you, my point is you'll never have full access to your ram as if you did windows would stop all together, check to see if your board can handle 8gb (2*4gb), again you'll see around 6-6.5gb if your able to upgrade (BUT check beforehand though)

this is my taskmanger for refrence, your's will look a little different, but they do the same thing :)

SEMh61u.png

Last edited:
Soldato
One or more of your RAM sticks might be dead.

Run MEMTEST or alternativley remove all but 1 stick, and swap them out to elimminate the bad stick. It's a slow process of rebooting and re-testing unfortunatley.

EDIT: also make sure the RAM modules are pressed in properly, sometimes they don't click in to the socket properly so thats something to be aware of.

Last edited:
Soldato
One or more of your RAM sticks might be dead.

Run MEMTEST or alternativley remove all but 1 stick, and swap them out to elimminate the bad stick. It's a slow process of rebooting and re-testing unfortunatley.

EDIT: also make sure the RAM modules are pressed in properly, sometimes they don't click in to the socket properly so thats something to be aware of.

If a stick was bad the op shouldn't see all 4gb, from what i gather he can see 4gb in the bios and see 4gb total in windows, but only 2.5gb is avalible, it would make sence as windows needs to take some ram to run it and background apps.

Soldato
He says that BIOS shows 4GB is installed but on the post screen it says only 2.5GB is available so that before Windows even loads.

I’d reseat the CPU and RAM sticks. Have seen similar weird stuff in the past albeit with LGA1366 systems.

Back
Top Bottom