WTB road bike

Man of Honour
OP
As I was advised to, I'm trying to find second hand bikes, but there are none within 75 miles of me (none suitable, since I'm a midget)... where can I look other than the bay/gumtree?

Soldato
bikeradar have quite a large classified section on their forum.
It's a pain to look through all the threads (you cant search by location or anything) but there is some good stuff on there.

Soldato
Cube Peloton Race Cubes have incredible specs for the money. That's full 105 with an Ultegra Rear Dérailleur.

The Giant Defy 1 is meant to be good but the spec (cassette and brakes especially) are poorer.

If the Cube doesn't float your boat then get a Boardman. Everyone raves about them, just get your local bike store to rebuild it after the monkey in Halfords has had a crack.

Most importantly though, just commit and actually buy a road bike, and start doing the miles on it. You'll love it. And a 15 mile commute to work would take you less than an hour once you get used to it. It will become the highlight of your day. :)

Soldato
I started a thread a few weeks ago along the same lines as yours and came to the conclusion it's between the CUBE Peloton Race Compact and The Giant Defy 1.

I did consider the Boardman but I suppose snobbery as put me off, don't get me wrong I know it's a great bike but...... I suppose it's like getting one of those pictures of Derwent water from Ikea, it's nice and all but every Joe as one and when you see it you know exactly where it's from. £1k on a bike for me is a heck of a lot of money and I want it to be as special as possible!!!

Still haven't got mine yet, it will be one of those two just deciding if I should go through the Cycle Scheme (a question mark hangs over my companies final value of the bike) or like you get it on interest free over 6 - 12 months.

Man of Honour
I did consider the Boardman but I suppose snobbery as put me off, don't get me wrong I know it's a great bike but...... I suppose it's like getting one of those pictures of Derwent water from Ikea, it's nice and all but every Joe as one and when you see it you know exactly where it's from. £1k on a bike for me is a heck of a lot of money and I want it to be as special as possible!!!

£1k is a fair chunk of money on a bike for most people but looking at it another way by picking something like the Boardman bikes you're probably getting a (much) better quality of groupset than you would on a Giant or similar. Halfords doesn't have the cachet of the brand name that they do so have to try and add value in other ways. It's probably arguable which frame is higher quality and worthy of upgrading further but normally you'd expect a brand such as Boardman which relies on high volume rather than the name to utilise the higher groupsets for an equivalent price.

I might be showing my age here but every time I read the title I find myself thinking "I didn't know Wilderness Trail Bikes did road bikes?".

Back
Top Bottom