X-fi music soundcard not detected

Associate
I have inserted my soundcard correctly in its slot as it fits snug and it lights up red.

I uninstall my onboard sound via control panel.

Now i turn on my pc and i have no sound even when i try to install drivers it says its not detected.
Whats the deal?

Mobo - GA K8NXP-SLI nforce 4 i think

Anyhelp appreciated as i'm a heavy gamer and sound is important :D

Soldato
I didn't uninstall my old sound, nor did I disable it within the BIOS I just whacked the X-fi in (bottom slot away from Graphics card) and started pc up, cancelled XP's 'found new hardware' pop-up and installed the drivers and I was away gaming straight after! :D

Associate
OP
ah well its fixed now :D
I disabled my onboard sound in bios hehe.

Its still got crap drivers off disk - i tried 2 install via auto isntall and half way through it says does not recognise you have x-fi etc.

Yet on detected hardware i go install and insert disk it installs fine!

I then proceeded to install the latest drivers not beta but i dont rate the card that much.

I am running through some sennheiser pc 155 and i am struggling to find whats better eax 3.0 or 2d miles fast.
I really dont think i got a good deal considering i am sure i heard just as much before i bought that card - yes am not using usb on headset either.

Any ideas - i am on gaming mode but i dont hear an increase in sound range or better positioning of enemy or anything - admit music sounds a tad better but i dont even like the 3d surround stuff it just ups the bass really. The crystaliser doesnt seem 2 add anything.

Suspended
I wouldn't bother with any DSP mode, I've yet to hear any good audio processing on low end gear, bar Lexicon Logic 7 on top-end gear which doesn't mess the sound up. Try straight stereo, no enhancments.

You're probably limited to your headphones, try a pair of Sennheiser HD-650's or Grado RS-1's. :)

Associate
OP
dont really understand you much dsp? and what you mean straight sterio how do i set it like that?

I am sure am not limited with my current headset sennheiser pc 155 they were/are pretty good - i am sure its all BS coz am sick of wasting money coz i can already hear everything my m8 can hear with a cheap headset and we have had people who claim they can hear more yet they cant when tested.

Explain the advantages over a better headset what would help/be more clear exactly?

and low end gear what you mean

spec amd 4000+ x850 xt pe 2gig ram

Associate
OP
yes so i realised and stated above - am just kinda unhappy that a spent that cash on something i consider useless as theres been no real gain in gaming experience from it.

Soldato
Lighters said:
yes so i realised and stated above - am just kinda unhappy that a spent that cash on something i consider useless as theres been no real gain in gaming experience from it.

I think maybe your expectations were too high. The truth is that, for most people, there really isn't much difference between on-board and the more expensive cards. I noticed a slight improvement in music quality between my X-Fi and the old SB Live. The EAX and pseudo-surround was definitely better in games and movies. The better your headphones and speakers the more you'll notice the improvement.

But yeah, compared to a video card or CPU upgrade I guess soundcards don't offer good value for money - unless you have very good, revealing speakers or headphones.

Soldato
squiffy said:
I wouldn't bother with any DSP mode, I've yet to hear any good audio processing on low end gear, bar Lexicon Logic 7 on top-end gear which doesn't mess the sound up. Try straight stereo, no enhancments.

You're probably limited to your headphones, try a pair of Sennheiser HD-650's or Grado RS-1's. :)

just had the card today.waiting to get home to install. will Sennheiser HD-600 headphones be ok to use ???? :p ;)

Associate
OP
well i thought sennheiser pc155 was great - so how exactly will a better headset or speakers help me? I could already hear 360 around me i just cant hear above or below me or a further radious

EAX is crap imo it sounds so shiat and even takes more processing power.

My advice to anyone is get a cheap headset and if u can hear 360 around u ** sorted!

My friend got his for like £13 and his sound is as good as mine!

Suspended
Clueless mate. No point getting a decent soundcard if you're using nasty headphones. No need to go silly but there is a improvement with decent headphones. You'll want a pair of Sennheiser Orpheus. :p

DSP = rock, disco and reverb modes. Rubbish
Low end gear as in your headphones, not your PC spec.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
whats low end about sennheiser pc 155 these were ment 2 b unreal for gaming when they was released now am told there low end! u mad!

I am confident there is f all difference between these and any others. If so someone please come 2 a cod2 server with me and we will do some tests?

Suspended
:) Proper phones
avf2_22.jpg

0020091000_247.jpg

Although for gaming wouldn't bother with such high-end phones, but you could do better. What about getting a headphone amplifier?

Speakers will sound better generally (sound quality, not looking at cost involved)

Soldato
lol i dont think he's in the market for £300 sennheisers. although for serious hi-fi use they are very good. speaking from experience as well. you could also try getting the sennheiser px200 . nice at £35 . got them for my ipod nano. swapping from them to my highend cans you can tell the difference ( to many cans there lol ).

Associate
OP
sound quality is fine but all am saying is there has been no improvement in my opinion over my headset soundcard and onboard soundcard and my x-fi xtreme music soundcard.

I only really play games and there hasnt been a benefit on sound range quality or around me as i could always hear a 360 radious around me but i can really hear above or below thats my only problem :( and i dont want to buy speakers for gaming am a headset/mic combo man

Soldato
Going from onboard to the X-Fi (I got fatality for the front panel), I DID notice an improvement in quality. Bass sounds snappier, and music in general sounds better.
Not to mention, I can enable higher levels of EAX without CPU utilisation, and I can hear sounds in games like WoW that I couldnt hear before, like a rustle when I stop moving. I even got my mate to come over, and when I pointed out the sound, he agreed he'd never heard it before.
Its not a leap into space, but it is a definate improvement in features, and quality to my old NForce4 Ultra onboard.

For the record Im using Sennheiser PC130 headset (although I may order PC150/160s as they look like they may offer better sound with the different earpad design) and Creative I-Trigue 5.1 5600 Speakers.
Not the best gear, but I did notice an improvement using them.

Back
Top Bottom