x-fi + Stereo amp + sub ??

Associate
Hey guys, i've got the following bits:

kef Q55 speakers
Rotel RA931 mk2 stereo amp
Eltax atomic 10 sub
Creative x-fi extreme music.

Now the dilema, whats the best way to connect all 4?

I listen to music through my pc.

I listen to a lot of bass heavy music hence the sub (also comes in handy for movies too).

Is there any way to connect the sub directly to the x-fi?

Am i loosing a significant amount of fidelity by leeching the bass off the high frequency output of my amp? and am I better off ditching the sub?

Any help/advise will be much appreciated.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
xsnv said:
Hey guys, i've got the following bits:

kef Q55 speakers
Rotel RA931 mk2 stereo amp
Eltax atomic 10 sub
Creative x-fi extreme music.

Now the dilema, whats the best way to connect all 4?

I listen to music through my pc.

I listen to a lot of bass heavy music hence the sub (also comes in handy for movies too).

Is there any way to connect the sub directly to the x-fi?

Am i loosing a significant amount of fidelity by leeching the bass off the high frequency output of my amp? and am I better off ditching the sub?

Any help/advise will be much appreciated.

My suggestion would be:
- Connect the Rotel to your Kefs
- Ditch the unpleasant sub and with the proceeds buy a decent external DAC
- Connect your soundcard using a coax digital output to your Rotel

Soldato
That sub isn't that bad.

When I had mine, I used it with some Mission 700's, 702e's and Eltax Silverstone 200's.

All cheapy budget speakers I know, but if you set the sub up properly, it'll add a nice bit of low down grunt without ever getting boomy.

Definitely worth a try anyway. I take it the rotel doesn't have a pre-out for the sub?

Associate
OP
Mr_Sukebe said:
My suggestion would be:
- Connect the Rotel to your Kefs
- Ditch the unpleasant sub and with the proceeds buy a decent external DAC
- Connect your soundcard using a coax digital output to your Rotel

Thanks, where could i pick up said DAC's from and would my system sound significanlty better?

agw_01 said:
I take it the rotel doesn't have a pre-out for the sub?

Yep it doesn't (it's a stereo amp). Unless of course some stereo amps have sub pre outs?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
xsnv said:
Thanks, where could i pick up said DAC's from and would my system sound significanlty better?

You can find DACs on the Bay, and also forums like Zerogain and Pinkfish.
£100 should buy you a good N OS DAC, which might not sound "impressive" to your friends as it won't have loads of uncontrolled sludgy bass, but it will offer a far more believeable representation of music.

As for the sub, I wouldn't line my bin with it. See if you can sell it online.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Mr_Sukebe said:
As for the sub, I wouldn't line my bin with it. See if you can sell it online.

Scathing! :eek:

Pretty accurate though :p

I added a "reasonable" HT sub to my setup once, just to test. In many ways it wasnt a fair test, but needless to say, it didnt impress one bit.

Stereo speakers with better LF extension >>>> subwoofers. Unless you have a 5.1 system - but that could be opening a whole can of worms on the HT vs HF front ;)

Soldato
A dac is the next thing on my list. Ive got me another sterero power amp to add to the setup on the cheap (well, free. always the best). Now i need a dac to replace the av amp's convertor which really isnt the best, then i'll be happy.

well for now at least. lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
james.miller said:
A dac is the next thing on my list. Ive got me another sterero power amp to add to the setup on the cheap (well, free. always the best). Now i need a dac to replace the av amp's convertor which really isnt the best, then i'll be happy.

well for now at least. lol.

James,
Sounds like you're using an AV amp as a pre-amp for music. If that's the case, see if you can borrow a decent pre-amp from someone to show the differences between a typically compromised AV amp, and a well designed Pre. I'd be surprised if you didn't think there was a big improvement.

Soldato
i know, there's a huge difference:( lol. I'm using the av amp as the pre yes, but only with music from the pc - the cd player is hooked up direct to the stereo amp. i've yet to test wether 10 meters of stereo rca will give me better results with the stereo amp direct from the pc over using a 10m co-ax to the av amp and using that as a dac.

It's just a compromise ive had to make due to the room layout and its far from ideal im afraid. Stereo music is so much easier in a living room lol certainly im more inclined to buy a decent dac then make mess around with the placement of the equipement again :o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom