X1800 + Beryl + Feisty Fawn + n00b = Headache

Associate
ok, so i've tried to setup Beryl & Xgl using the docs here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Beryl/ATI/Feisty?highlight=(beryl)

Problem is, when i try and log in with an Xgl session, the display is all corrupt, i can see parts of the desktop, but most of it is corrupted and its pretty hard to see anything.

I even tried clicking on Beryl Manager to see if it'd somehow clear the corruption, but it aint :)

I'm using an X1800XT btw, makes me wonder if i should switch to NVidia :D I'm a relative n00b at linux, but i understand slightly, any help you could give would be great!

Associate
OP
Hmmm, seems i've fixed it now!!!

However, one other problem

I have 2 x 320Gb Drives in RAID0, formatted in NTFS

Now, it doesn't seem to be able to mount the drive, but i cant work out whether thats because it doesnt recognise/havent configured it, or because you can read NTFS on a raid stripe. Anyone shed any light?

Its fun this linux lark

Associate
OP
if i run dmraid -s i get this
Code:
/dev/sda: "sil" and "nvidia" formats discovered (using nvidia)!
/dev/sdb: "sil" and "nvidia" formats discovered (using nvidia)!
*** Active Set
name   : nvidia_dcceeecd
size   : 1250284800
stride : 128
type   : stripe
subsets: 0
devs   : 2
spares : 0

this is as far as i know how to get :D

Associate
OP
xyphic said:
How did you fix it? I'm getting the corrupted desktop in Xgl after the upgrade to Feisty. Was it an easy fix, or am I in for a few hours of frustrated googling?

i started up beryl config in the Gnome session, made sure it was all set to Xgl, then resarted the computer completely, not just restarting X, and it works fine now just starting an Xgl session!

still having trouble with configuring this RAID array though, i think i should have just left it connected at install for it to configure.

Associate
xyphic said:
How did you fix it? I'm getting the corrupted desktop in Xgl after the upgrade to Feisty. Was it an easy fix, or am I in for a few hours of frustrated googling?
IIRC the latest version of beryl doesn't play ball properly with XGL. You may need to 'downgrade' to an older version for it to work correctly....(Took me a few hours googling to find this out!!)

Back
Top Bottom