• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1800XT or X1900XT - Uhm, ahh!

Associate
Hellooo, okay - so here it is guys..

ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB

or

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 256MB

Answers on a post card please (I'd prefer you to post here though), if any users have any pros/cons for me that would be cool - and just general opinions on both/either cad.

I only play CS:Source really, anyone with either of these cards, how do you find it handles the source engine?

Rest of the Rig..

Gigabyte DS3
XMS2 2x512 800mhz
C2D E3300/AC freezer pro 7

Thanks in advance!

Man of Honour
Depends what resolution you're running it at, but unless you have triple super massive displays both of those should destroy the source engine, allowing plenty of nice AA and AF :)

Associate
fat_wife said:
Hellooo, okay - so here it is guys..

ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB

or

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 256MB

Answers on a post card please (I'd prefer you to post here though), if any users have any pros/cons for me that would be cool - and just general opinions on both/either cad.

I only play CS:Source really, anyone with either of these cards, how do you find it handles the source engine?

Rest of the Rig..

Gigabyte DS3
XMS2 2x512 800mhz
C2D E3300/AC freezer pro 7

Thanks in advance!

X1800XT can be overclocked easily, x1900xt has 48 pixel shaders so should give you more FPS on shading intensive games, pretty much all of the latest games out..

Associate
OP
I've always played 800*600 (since the days of 1.4 - having the option of playing 1024+ brings a tear to my eye.

But yes, probably 1024*768!

Also (stupidly I posted this without checking for past threads or seaching) - should I hold out for the X1950 ?

EDIT: and thanks meansizzler :D

Keep the opinions coming.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I doubt he'll want af or aa if he's been running 800x600 for this long.

I preume you're a hardcore cs'er? I have a lot of friends who are really in to CS and they run the lowest res possible with no visual goodies to make it as simple and as smooth as possible. Still both cards are very good deals.

Associate
OP
Possbily even 1280*1024 :)

Haven't made that descision really yet, in all honesty (as I said I've always played CS in 800*600!) - It just depends what I can get used too.

And yeah Zefan, I am using a huge config atm and I am desperate to get rid of it - I will probably shift up a notch or two in regards to resolution, and probably AA.

Last edited:
Associate
The X1800XT at £120 is great value for money and will last you a long time.
You will be fine for a long time with that card.

I havent noticed any critical slow downs yet and playing at 1280x1024 with AA/AF and eye candy.

Soldato
meansizzler said:
X1800XT can be overclocked easily
I'm sorry but thats just wrong :D
Can be overclocked easily in ATI CCC bt that overclock is limited and is a tiny overclock, overclocking properly is a pain and most dont bother.

Soldato
Vegeta said:
I'm sorry but thats just wrong :D
Can be overclocked easily in ATI CCC bt that overclock is limited and is a tiny overclock, overclocking properly is a pain and most dont bother.
My X1800XT overclocked to 730/900 with no hassle at all in ATI Tool, that was before the latest version of ATI Tray Tools came out with X1K support and it's even simpler now. :p

fat_wife: If you mostly want to play Source games then the X1800XT is far more than enough, you will love it. Only bother buying the X1900XT if you plan to play other, more graphically demanding games like Oblivion or something. Of course, the X1800XT performs great in that too. ;)

Soldato
X1800XT would be fine. But I was exactly the same as you, upgraded to play HL2 and CSS. Luckily I went way ott and bought a 7800GTX because pretty soon after I wanted to play loads more graphically intense games.

I would recommend the X1900XT as I would image you to start playing more games as time goes on.

Associate
OP
Yeah, totally.

I don't want to have to upgrade once again when Quake Wars comes out :D

Luckily yesterday I read over the ATI tools thread. It recomends at least 580w for the X1900 - If I hadn't read that I'd have been buying a 400w. Is the difference that detremental?

Awesome guys anyway, you've been a great help - thanks.

Soldato
fat_wife said:
Yeah, totally.

I don't want to have to upgrade once again when Quake Wars comes out :D

Luckily yesterday I read over the ATI tools thread. It recomends at least 580w for the X1900 - If I hadn't read that I'd have been buying a 400w. Is the difference that detremental?

Awesome guys anyway, you've been a great help - thanks.

A decent* 450W PSU will suffice quite nicely for a X1900XT. Although it does depend on what else you have in your pc. (if you are running a lot of HD's etc then a higher wattage PSU will be better).

* By decent I mean one with strong 12v rails. (18a + should be fine)

As for your gaming even at 1280x1024 a X1800XT will be more than enough for what you want to do.

Especially on the source engine which the ATI cards really eat for breakfast.

Soldato
oweneades said:
* By decent I mean one with strong 12v rails. (18a + should be fine)
I hope you mean 18a on each rail. :p Personally I think anywhere above 26a or 28a combined is fine but below that you're probably going to have problems.

Back
Top Bottom