• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1950 pro AGP - it was going well

Associate
Removed the BFG 6800GT and ran drive cleaner. In with the new card and installed 6.12 - great. Ran BF2: nice until black screen - tried again same thing.

Other people getting same issue so tried the latest Omega drivers - then it turned really nasty: card not recognised on reboot - resource conflict with PCI AGP controller. Out with the XP CD about to reinstall and my CDrom had gone as well (wanted to burn RAID drivers)

Deleted IDE channels and thing returned to "normalish". Tried installing older drivers - card still not there - tried 6.12 OK but still probs with BF2 and 3D 05 will not run (sometimes freezes or D3ERR_DEVICELOST)

Try 6.8 -no, 6.9 - no, 6.10 - no, 6.11 - bingo

BF2 runs fine and 3d Mark 05 completes (6011 score)

Abit BE7 Pentium4 3.22 HT 2GB OCZ RAM

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Schizophonic said:
thats 2 bad attempts i'm hearing from people how the 1950pro AGP is going....will find out if i'm part of that statistic tomorrow.

Hi there

Well we sold over 100 alone today so for a card thats selling in such huge quantities there is a far higher chance of seeing people with issues due to incompatible hardware or just not trying a fresh installation of windows etc.

Associate
well 6.8 6.9 and 6.10 drivers dint support the 1950 pro anyway. belive 6.11 were first official drivers to support the pro. apart from ones it came with wich were there own bodged up set.

Associate
OP
I have gone from 5000 to 6000 in 3d 05

6.12 is completely unstable

The symptom that I am seeing is the monitor going in to standby which is not exactly unknown :eek:

If a clean install is what is required then so be it

Not really that impressed ATM

Soldato
Complete reinstall of windows just for a change of gfx card! Unbelievable!

Duno if i like this card now and duno if i want to buy one. If theres these kinds of problems with it.

Also very low 05 score of 6000? Should be more in 9000-10000 range yeah?

Last edited:
Associate
yeah i think going from nvidia to ati and vice versa can allways throw an extra spanner i the works. i used the bodged drivers that came with me card and work first time a treat. i aint changing my drivers yet its working to well lol

Soldato
i take it you have a decent psu? these cards need good amperage on the 12v rail - it's not just about the wattage rating. can you give any details on what you have? :)

Soldato
Something must be wrong with your set-up with that 3dmark score. I'm getting 9.2k on 05 (dunno what settings I'm "suppose" to benchmark to so I don't know if that means anything) with my new X1950 pro AGP. I've got an AMD 64 3.2 winchester (only running at 2.4 atm) and 2gb of GeiL PC3200 RAM (2-3-3-6) and she is running very, very nicely.

Sorry my post doesn't help much but I just want to give my opinion on the X1950. Excellent card, it's running Oblivion so nicely. I would recommend this card to any AGP user looking for a nice GPU. Really has exceeded my expectations.

*strokes X1950 pro

Last edited:
Associate
I have a similar problem with my Gainward 7800GS+.
This cards need the propoer agp controller driver, the latest if possible.
On their installation disc they manufacturer install the Video driver and the AGP controller driver and the GART driver, and later if your mobo has a different chipset you wil have trouble, like low bandwidth, card not recognized, etc.
Your mobo has the i845 chipset, so you need to get the drivers on intel, some mobo sites use legacy drivers, so you will need to install them.
You just open the setup file click next and that's it.
Is recommended that you had installed before the Service pack 2.
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Home Edition&lang=eng

Associate
OP
Firstly thank you all for the replies and suggestions.

Power supply is an Antec Neo HE 430W

The info on Mobo chipsets is great. I already had the drivers installed

I think to be fair I will have to bite the bullet and reinstall XP from scratch.

You may here from me later today :D

Soldato
Yeah i can second the above, the x1950pro is a brilliant card. My 6800gt used to have problems running splinter cell double agent, in some places, on medium resolution, with medium/low settings but just whacked everything up to full with the x1950pro and it is smooth as hell.

Associate
OP
After an interesting day:

Storage drivers cannot be loaded from CD (well they can but not when you can't burn another CD)

I really should have installed the floppy from the old PC

Trying to find the floppy power cable is futile when you have changed the power supply from the standard one and not plugged the (modular) cable in for the floppy

None of the 6 diskettes burried in drawers could be written to on wife's laptop

Don't believe the first person in PCWORLD who says they have no diskettes

Helps when you get the right model of RAID controller

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2483621 :( :mad:

Associate
OP
Here's what i did

XP Home SP2 install

Intel Chipset utility - Restart

Sound card Realtek AC97 - Restart

Firefox 2

Catalyst 6.12 driver only - Restart

Windows update IE7

3D 05 and got the D3D device lost error within 5 secs

Remove 6.12

Install Catalyst 6.11 driver only - Restart

Ran 3d 05

:confused:

Associate
OP
Have now tried (without any change)

Removed 1 GB of Ram then swapped for the removed RAM

Removed the the overclock on the Motherboard so now Pentium 4 3.06 HT and 133 FSB

Changed AGP aperture to 128 then 64

Disabled video IRQ in Bios

Disabled USB IRQ in Bios

Turned off Fast writes

Remove PCI modem and moved RAID controller slot

Back
Top Bottom