X2 3800+ films stuttering

Associate
When i try and watch films on my comp they stutter, iv tried diff programs, and tried setting the affinity to one core. But nout i do seems to work. Dose any one else get this prob? (films run fine on onther comps)

Associate
OP
Divx, Avi, Real Dvd's from DVD drive. Any bitrate it happens with all the ones iv got.

Iv tried VLC, WinAmp, WMP9,10, k-lite MPC.

CPU usage 2-12% holds most at 6%. More activity on core2 if i dont try change it.

Associate
OP
got:

x2 3800+
DFI Ultra-D
OCUK 7800 GTX (dont have another pci gfx card to check if its this)
Geil 2GB RAM
Hyper Type-R 580W

Drivers are all upto date, and have the codec pack. :/

Last edited:
Associate
I get problems with stuttering (especially in panned out shots) but not all the time. I thought it was due to playing .avi cdroms straight from my dvd drive (some kind of buffer underun at a guess). When i save the file to my hardrive and play it it is fine or if i convert it + burn to dvd and then play it its fine. :confused:

Associate
OP
hmmm sounds almost the same, i will always get stutters on panning shots, but tbh i didnt think it would make any diff to the amount of data needing processed?

though i still get it playing from HDD :(

Associate
Same as me! :eek: Coincidence? maybe???? :eek

anyway, you don't have any cpu hungry programs lurking in the background do you?

EDIT:-

forget that just read ** cpu usage further up the thread.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hmmmmm sounds suspicious(sp?) to me!!!!!!!!!

Ill maby try disconecting that aswell, although it shouldnt effect playing form HDD.

U got any ways u reduced the stuttering?

Associate
I had no problems at all (that i noticed), then i had to do a full reinstall of xp and everything else. Since then i had .avi lip sync problems, which were sorted by the divx codec and noticed this stuttering (but not all the time). I don't really use my rig for watching films but have been watching season 2 of lost .avi format and that is when i notice the stuttering. I read somewhere about ntsc and pal format incompatibilities and thought it might be something to do with that. But like I said, once i save it to hdd and watch it its ok??? whether it was like that before the reinstall but never noticed or i had another codec etc. installed which i haven't reinstalled i don't know. :(

Associate
you might need to REMOVE some codecs, make sure FFSHOW isnt installed as that can cause problems, try removing xvid and divx codecs as you might have 2 lots installed. as a final solutin remove every bloody codec and install one at a time. ive had/seen these problems before and most of the time its from installing codec packs.

Associate
Hi ,
Which graphics card do you have?
Make sure you download the latest graphics drivers from the manufacturers website e.g. www.nvidia.com or www.ati.com .
When i first installed windows it did the same for me but it was because i hadn't installed the drivers, everything including films and QUAKE4 work really smoothly now.
I have the AMD X2 3800+ processor, 1gb pc3200 ram, Geforce 7800GT 256mb graphics and i'm lovin it :p, I only got it properly running on Sunday.
I had problems with booting up windows (i had winborg xp pro) but then i tried an original Windows Xp Pro and it works fine now :D.
Hope it works for ya :)
Cya

Associate
OP
ok i have uninstalled every codec / player i could find on my system.

Now any1 got any tips on what options to pick when installing new codec pack? 2.71 (that the newest/best?)

Thanx

Back
Top Bottom