1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x299 OCing

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by james_2k, Aug 12, 2017.

1. james_2k

Wise Guy

OK, so i know everyone is going mental for Ryzen, but some of us are still on the blue team.

so wondering what people are doing with their x cpus.

i've been playing around with mine and have it stable at 4800mhz with 1.23v running 4Ghz cl17 ram, nice enough. so looked at the cache a bit...

its currently at 32x and in auto mode that puts the mesh/cache volts at 1.2. which basically adds a good 10c to the load temps(compared to 30x in auto - 1.1v). however it seems to be ok with 1v manual and that makes it run vastly cooler.

Just wondering what everyone else is running?

2. james_2k

Wise Guy

update, anything below 0.95 makes it crash quickly, but damn thats a large undervolt and has a fantastic effect on the temps. totally worth doing it if you are finding it toasty

3. Disco_P

Mobster

Threadripper :D

4. james_2k

Wise Guy

more fool them! but seriously at least one thread without amd in it would be nice ;)

5. james_2k

Wise Guy

As the tumbleweed rolls past this thread. how does this look? Got the quad channel installed today, and had to back down the freq a bit but lowered timings too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  6. Adam123

Hitman

Did you find setting the mesh/cache voltage manually reduce temps from the motherboards auto setting?

What temps are you you getting?

Cheers

7. ~>Dg<~

Caporegime

4.8 -4.9 avg but temps can ramp up so fast.

8. james_2k

Wise Guy

reduced cache voltage to 1v from the default 1.1/1.2 which made a good difference. about 40-60 in games depending. avx stress tests = way too hot, but i dont use avx for my normal stuff, so that can wait till its delidded, which it defo needs..

9. Adam123

Hitman

Are you avx offsetting back to stock frequency then or just avoiding avx stress tests?

Have you got gpu's in your loop too?

10. james_2k

Wise Guy

Nah its fine with the stress tests, just maxes out the temp on the package, core temps are okish. but i dont use many or any avx during normal use. so they would run at full speed.

yes the gpu is in the loop, but the deltas are so high its clear that the stock intel thermal paste isnt doing its job very well

11. james_2k

Wise Guy

yeah so put the cache back to 32x with the quad channel memory and it really is a hot mofo of a chip. To be honest feel a bit let down that it isn't soldered, complete waste and annoying that we have to delid ourselves.

Its a beast cpu of course, but there we go.

In games it sits at mid 50s to mid 60s with the current oc of 4.8 / 3.8 ddr4 and 32 cache. which is ok, but avx stress tests, no. (not using any offset of course)