• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X34A - Colours Going Washed Out

Soldato
I've recently noticed that after gaming for a while, I quit and my monitor colours are washed out looking. If I reboot the machine, the colours go back to normal. I've only noticed it with Kingdom Come: Deliverance so I'm unsure if it's just specific to that one game.

I've never experienced this, could it be game specific, driver specific or is it likely to be hardware i.e. monitor or GPU?

:confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Update: I left PC on overnight and the colours are still fine in the morning. I then loaded AC:O to run for a while and test if colour issue happens with a different title. As soon as the game loads, the monitor keeps flicking between black screen (standby light comes on) and back to the game for a second or two then repeat. If I quit to menu screen the flicking stops. So, I've restarted the PC and loaded AC:O and it's all normal.

Coincidence?

I'm not sure where to start with diagnostics, so I've decided to crack on with AC:O and see if the colour wash happens again. I'd be interested in any ideas what might be causing this as I think it could be:

• Driver
  • Monitor
  • GPU
  • GPU overclock
  • PSU
  • DP Cable
  • Software (W10)
  • Game specific
  • Any combination of the above

Last edited:
Soldato
I seem to recall that the gamma settings from some games can 'stick' when you exit the game and still be present on your dekstop, until you reboot. I know Crysis used to do this for a fact. When I used to run 3 monitors off one comp and one was for photography and one for gaming I used to use a utility that colour managed all the desktops to stop this from happening. I don't bother now as my gaming rig is just an x34 with a little led monitor to the side for monitoring widgets. Can't say I've noticed any issues like you're describing though.

Perhaps in Kingdom Come you have the gamma set a bit high, and it's sticking as described? Not sure about the symptoms you're describing with ACO though, sounds a bit more worrying.

Soldato
OP
Cheers @wunkley

I think it is gamma settings sticking, which is fine as it is what it is and no hardship to reboot.

As for AC:O it's the first I've seen that with that game and a reboot seems to have solved that. I do get that same issue with Shadow of War but have stopped playing that game so haven't investigated any further.

I'll keep an eye on things. It did get me thinking that my next GPU will be a Hydrocopper or the Zotac equivalent as I had visions of having to put my stock cooler back on for RMA... PITA :p

Soldato
Definitely something funky going on with the gamma setting in KCD. Just tried changing it all the way up and then exiting to test. Didn't affect my desktop but when I went back into the game and tried to change the gamma back down to the middle it had no effect. Tried a few different things and restarted the game but stayed at the high setting I'd set and wouldn't change even though I was setting it back to the middle. Had to reboot the comp to sort it. So that's a bit weird.

Soldato
I get the same with Kingdom Come, properly washes the colours out and makes the gamma go all whacky. I've just come to accept it, luckily it's a very good game.

Back
Top Bottom