X670/Ryzen - can't get this to work.

Associate
Help! Trying to help a friend build their 1st PC:

* Gigabyte gigabyte x670 aorus elite)
* AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8 Core
* G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5-6000

Now on a 2nd motherboard, which is also behaviing exactly like the first, in that:

* Fans do not spin at all (neither CPU nor case, which are a mixture of PWM and not)
* Getting into the BIOS is extremely flaky - often pressing <del> does nothing at all.
* Can't get it to boot from a USB stick to install W11 (I know the stick is OK, it's booted in other machines). The BIOS sees the UEFI partition, but it just cycles.
* Can't update the bios (it's F10, tried F30). We managed to get it recognised in the bios Q-Flash, but it hangs/reboots, but the update doesn't take.
* Have tried resetting the CMOS.

At a loss as to what to try next. Seems a bit unlikely that *2* motherboards have the same issue (though the fan thing seems odd). Memory? Any BIOS settings that need to be adjusted?

Man of Honour
Hi and welcome.

Assuming all power cables are connected correctly.

I would pull the motherboard out in case there's a short and build with minimum components on the motherboard box to test.

Motherboard, CPU, one stick of memory and m2 drive ,

Use the onboard graphics to connect to the monitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
Help! Trying to help a friend build their 1st PC:

* Gigabyte gigabyte x670 aorus elite)
* AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8 Core
* G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5-6000

Now on a 2nd motherboard, which is also behaviing exactly like the first, in that:

* Fans do not spin at all (neither CPU nor case, which are a mixture of PWM and not)
* Getting into the BIOS is extremely flaky - often pressing <del> does nothing at all.
* Can't get it to boot from a USB stick to install W11 (I know the stick is OK, it's booted in other machines). The BIOS sees the UEFI partition, but it just cycles.
* Can't update the bios (it's F10, tried F30). We managed to get it recognised in the bios Q-Flash, but it hangs/reboots, but the update doesn't take.
* Have tried resetting the CMOS.

At a loss as to what to try next. Seems a bit unlikely that *2* motherboards have the same issue (though the fan thing seems odd). Memory? Any BIOS settings that need to be adjusted?

Are you physically there with them to test things, or are we third hand support? I ask because people often don't tell the truth regarding things they're doing, and it's not always intentional.

Can you provide pictures of inside of the case from various angles?

Are they two totally different motherboards, or did you RMA the initial one and get sent out a replacement?

Associate
OP
So to follow up on some of the questions (thanks for the feedback):

* They're 2 completely separate motherboards (Different vendors, 1st one was returned)
* I'm physically there (it's round the corner) and it's been me trying to get into bioses and the like
* Yes, it's minimal (no GPU, just the on-board graphics).

I've built PCs myself, but not for a number of years; Starting to think that unless this particular board is a lemon, it must be one of the other components (though the fan behaviour puzzles me).

Memory? Does that seem likely? It didn't seem to be particularly bleeding-edge for DDR5, but I'm no expert..

Man of Honour
So to follow up on some of the questions (thanks for the feedback):

* They're 2 completely separate motherboards (Different vendors, 1st one was returned)
* I'm physically there (it's round the corner) and it's been me trying to get into bioses and the like
* Yes, it's minimal (no GPU, just the on-board graphics).

I've built PCs myself, but not for a number of years; Starting to think that unless this particular board is a lemon, it must be one of the other components (though the fan behaviour puzzles me).

Memory? Does that seem likely? It didn't seem to be particularly bleeding-edge for DDR5, but I'm no expert..

Minimal components but did you take the motherboard out the case and test which I highly advise , otherwise we can only guess or give suggestions?

Check the motherboard CPU socket for bent pins

Last edited:
Soldato
To note 64gb of ddr5 6000mhz with a x3d may be problematic to boot, its putting a lot of strain on the cpu's memory controller, general rule of thumb more capacity you want to run around 5200-5600mhz speed for stability, dropping back to a 32gb kit 6000-6200mhz is doable.

fan behaviour sugests a internal psu lead may be incorrect, i would double check and make sure you havent used a cable from you old psu by misatke, asuming you changed psu's

double check

24 pin cable
8 pin eps cable(s)
sata cables
molex cables
check all rgb cables too, make sure 5v and 12v cables are in the right places, you can plug a 12v into a 5v which may cause hickups, you cant plug 5v into a 12v headder though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Are you downloading the bios for the correct revision of the board as there are three revisions now and the bios could be different for all three?
Have you tried flashing the bios using USB bios flashback (Q-Flash Plus on Gigaybyte boards)? You need to put the USB stick in the correct slot and hold the button down. You do this with the board powered down but with the power still on at the wall. Full instructions should be in the manual.
What make and model psu are you using and are you using it's own cables if a modular psu?

Man of Honour
To be clear, the system does boot, but you can't:
1. Get into the BIOS reliably.
2. USB stick isn't recognised.
3. No fans run.

1. Are you using HDMI, DP or DVI?
2. What do you mean by it cycles? It just ignores the presence of a USB stick?
3. I assume the fans aren't zero-rpm fans? I'd check they're installed in the right headers and if they need SATA power that this is connected. If you're using splitters, check the cabling and that you don't have too many connected. I'd not normally have the CPU fan connected to a splitter.

Soldato
The ram shouldnt be a problem at all, it will post at stock speeds until you enable EXPO or XMP, which would be 5600MT/s, if its the CL30 G.skill 64gb kit, its Hynix M die, and ive used that kit on many different AM5 builds without any issues, its a highly rated kit, and overclocks very well, I would try with 1 stick first of all though just to see if things run stable and less stress on the IMC, if it plays up with that stick, try the other one.

Also a very over looked thing, do you have the ram in the correct slots, make sure to check the manual for which slots you should be using when only running 2 sticks, if its the wrong slots this can very well cause the issues you're describing, lumpy, not very responsive.

It could have course be the CPU itself, but im just speculating, its not the first time people receive DOA CPU's.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's rare that a CPU has problems but it does happen, I'd check for bent pins or paste caked on them after the initial swap if you don't get any joy from running a single stick of RAM (try them in different slots too).

Soldato
Did you exchange motherboard for a replacement? I’ve had retailers return the same faulty motherboard as a replacement.

Full system specs will help.

Soldato
Are you downloading the bios for the correct revision of the board as there are three revisions now and the bios could be different for all three?
Agree with checking the revision of the motherboard. It tells you on the bottom left corner of the board.

Looks like there are three revisions, but can rule out rev 3 as it does not have F10 bios.

Back
Top Bottom