X99 Micro ATX

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Still doing my homework here.

The reviews of the Gigabyte board aren't great, with the USB3.0 headers blocking a 2nd GPU being a bit of a schoolboy error. Also the M.2 speed is only 10GB/s?

Looking at the EVGA X99 Micro2. Reviews seem OK from what I've seen, but I can't see the speed of the M.2 slot listed anywhere. Anyone know what speed this runs at? Admittedly, I'm not very clued up on the M.2 hardware. :o

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-051-EA&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2875

Finding a good Micro-ATX X99 board isn't easy!

Last edited:
Associate
As you want to OC make sure it has the OC socket.

My call would be

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty X99M Killer3.1/

But I'm bias. :D

I bought the non usb3.1 version of that board on MM, and I am very impressed. Normally buy only Asus or Gigabtye but Asrock is really not bad at all.

To OP: As you mentioned, the gaiming 5 has a lot of flaws. Onboard pic-e gen3 x4 is recommended on a mATX. If you go multi gpu, you will have no option for super fast storage.

Soldato
OP
Sorry can you explain this to an average joe ;)

The M.2 SSD speed on the other micro ATX board were all restricted to 10GB/s unless they were using a PCI slot, but that was causing problems with PCI options and speed.

The Asrock board appears to run at 32GB/s M.2 SSD without impacting the PCI (graphics cards).

Maybe someone with one of these boards could confirm this?

Associate
As I read on a competitor website review:

"As far as features go, ASRock’s X99M Killer provides a healthy set of offerings. There’s the strong audio solution, Killer and Intel NICs, gaming device enhancements, and support for 32Gbps M.2 SSDs.That last point is important for users who care about future-proofing their system – higher-than-10Gbps M.2 SSDs are getting ready to enter the market."

Associate
The M.2 SSD speed on the other micro ATX board were all restricted to 10GB/s unless they were using a PCI slot, but that was causing problems with PCI options and speed.

The Asrock board appears to run at 32GB/s M.2 SSD without impacting the PCI (graphics cards).

Maybe someone with one of these boards could confirm this?

I have that board.

I can only assume the m.2 slot is getting native PCI-E lanes (4) direct from the CPU. It makes sense like that as there is so many lanes left over since it is only mATX. It does not need to share bandwidth with any physical PCI-E slots.

I'll check the motherboard traces the next time i take it apart.

there is no mention in the manual about any PLX chip either. Will buy my Samsung 950 Pro in October to test it out.

OcUK Staff
As you want to OC make sure it has the OC socket.

My call would be

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty X99M Killer3.1/

But I'm bias. :D

Neil is spot on here. This is by far the best MATX board on X99. It has full OC socket is very efficient and overclocks like a dream. Nick developed this for the GSKILL OC competition at computex which the guy using this board out of any available on the market won.

I am going to build MATX X99 soon and this is my choice.

Associate
Cool guys, I am going for this motherboard as well then ;)

now what CPU 5820k or 5930k?

Will start with one 980ti, and hopefully get a second one later on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom