xbox controller on a pc?

Associate
Hi, i am thinging of getting a second xbox controller to use on my pc. but i first want to know how hard is it to set up. my brother says he tryed to use his with cod 4 some time ago but could not get the game to pick up the controller.

Associate
wired - plug it in on vista and 7. wireless, get the receiver for a tenner

games - game dependent. some support it perfectly - some valve games, crysis etc. batman.
others don't support it at all like COD MW. black ops works though. you need pinnacle game profiler/xpadder to map keyb buttons to the controller to make them work and it's iffy at best.

Associate
first of all you either need a wired usb controller or the 360 controller for windows (includes the usb reciever) Games like COD will not recognise a controller but you can use third party software suck as joy2key to configure it. Most games are fully compatible with 360 controller for windows but check the back of the box to make sure :) I use mine for gta nfs etc and it works great !

Associate
Have a google for "Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver For Windows" if you plan on using wireless controllers.
If your using a wired USB controller then it should work out the box.
Most games have a pre-defined setting for Xbox 360 controllers

Associate
It really is as simple as plugging in the usb cable, or in the case of the wireless adapter, plugging it in and hitting the sync button on it and a controller. Here's a list of Steam games that support controllers:
Linky

Associate
as above has said its hit and miss most times, however a lot of the games i've played do support the controller very well... And as for things like xpadder, i used multiple programs like and including that a while ago, It's a bit of a hassle getting it all set up and most of the time i had to re-map the controller for any different game that didn't support the controller originally,

only real reason i use my xbox controller is for Dirt3 every now and then... otherwise gaming with a Mouse and keyboard is far superior to using a controller

Associate
A load of games are compatible, and Skyrim is probably one you want to use it with.

You can get a wireless receiver bundled with one of MS's life-chat headsets (re-badged xbox wireless mic). ZX-6000 if memory serves correctly.

I got mine for £16

Soldato
I've tried it on my brothers XP (home sp2) machine (wired controller). I really wouldn't recommend trying, major headache and a waste of time. I bought a adapter for my PS2 controller for about £2 and never looked back! PS3 controllers work wired or with a bluetooth dongle as well. You have to use specific software for it though.

Associate
I've tried it on my brothers XP (home sp2) machine (wired controller). I really wouldn't recommend trying, major headache and a waste of time. I bought a adapter for my PS2 controller for about £2 and never looked back! PS3 controllers work wired or with a bluetooth dongle as well. You have to use specific software for it though.

It got said more than once that Vista/Windows 7 personally I wouldn't want to touch a vista pc.

So the headache is XP!, still wont of been as bad as trying to use x64 xp.

Back
Top Bottom