XC bike - ~£300

Associate
Hey,

Been out this morning with a mate for a bit of XC/DH on my terrible generic bike and I've decided I need something a little better :p However I'm just starting and so I don't want to blow a lot before I know what I'm doing and so I thought about £300 would suffice for a beginner hardtail XC bike.

So if you could please, spec me! :p

Edit: Budget isn't strict, I may be able to stretch, but just like with PC components, it can easily get out of hand ;)

Edit again , just seen this near me for £150, looks like a bargain but I'm not a pro :p :
Marin Palisades Trail front supsension white and black frame
hayes x5 caliper
xt rear hub
deore front hub
sram shifter
dmr v12 pedals
marzocchi front forks
alloy frame
24 speed
trailbear tyres lots of tread left
tioga seat (small tear)
truvativ pedal arms
usa headset
6061 alloy stem

32zjfk5.jpg

Should I go for it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks okay for £150; at the least frame should be fairly decent.

An entry level front suspension fork (Rockshox Dart 3) costs around £110 so for £300 you aren't going to get a light XC racer ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply ;)

Does it look good for a starting bike? Or should I wait for a better alternative to turn up?

"Looks okay for £150" makes it sound like it's not really worth it :p

Associate
you aint gonna get much for £300, both the scott aspect 60 (we sell scott) and the specialized hardrock are decent enough, Personally i would buy the 2nd hand for £150 and spend the other £150 upgrading and buying lock and helmet.

if you want to call me and ask as many questions as you want feel free. (im a manager of bike shop in oxford) )the cycle centre 01865554646)

Associate
OP
you aint gonna get much for £300, both the scott aspect 60 (we sell scott) and the specialized hardrock are decent enough, Personally i would buy the 2nd hand for £150 and spend the other £150 upgrading and buying lock and helmet.

if you want to call me and ask as many questions as you want feel free. (im a manager of bike shop in oxford) )the cycle centre 01865554646)

Thanks very much for the kind offer, I'll keep that in mind! ;)

Turns out the bike is only about 10mins from me, so it'd be easy to pick it up. I've requested some more High res pics just to get an idea of the general state the bike is in, so I'll post those here when I get them.

After a quick look around the cheapest I can find a Marin Palisade Trail is £399. The owner says "bike is custom but it would cost about £500 with standard parts".

As long as it's in good condition I think I'll take a chance ;) Will update later with any pics etc.

Thanks again :D

Back
Top Bottom