• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Xeon 3040

Soldato
I assume these are the equivalent of an E6300. I've found one for £129.24 inc VAT.

Are they the same sort of thing as the Opteron? A Conroe Core that's been picked for stability etc?

Soldato
p4radox said:
I assume these are the equivalent of an E6300. I've found one for £129.24 inc VAT.

Are they the same sort of thing as the Opteron? A Conroe Core that's been picked for stability etc?

Apparently they are identical to Conroes. But some people say they run at a lower voltage??? If so then I would think they'd overclock better....can anyone clarify this?

Soldato
I was reading through a thread the other day at Xtremesystems (the one about the new R600 DFI), and about half way throught they got into an arguement about Xeon vs's Conroe's. Some were saying that they were similar to Opterons in the fact that they are binned for quality and stability, and one person was saying that was hogwash and they were the same as the normal Conroe's apart from the fact that they cost more!

Apparently they fare well in the overclocking league over there so I guess it can't hurt to try one if you can get one cheap enough.

Here you go, it starts about post number 298

Associate
The Xeon 30x0 series are rebadged Conroe chips - direct from the boys at Intel. I've got a 3070 (same as E6700) in my machine running happily - my DS4 even recognises that its a Xeon rather than C2D but runs all the same :D

i've not attempted overclocking just yet though - so cant give you any stats.

Soldato
yas, theory goes the xeons should be more stable and what not - due to being picked from the center of the silicon wafer during production.. assume this means less impurities in the silicon? i dunno I'm not a wiz - but anyway, for that price i reckon the extra few quid cant hurt :) enjoy matey

Back
Top Bottom