• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Xeon or C2Q

Caporegime
zaza said:
Really? How come? I don't have sli, but man, I'd never afford it..

think about it you pay over twice the money and get less than half the perfomance gain

he said he was getting an 8800 with 4 gigs of ram

lets say since he has such a big budget hes going for a gtx

the cheapest one from here is £360 so two would be £720, now the improvement would be 10-15% in most games

now lets take power consumption into play here, two of these cards would draw 300-340 watts alone which with all of the other components being specced he would need a £160+ PSU

also his electricity bill would be massive compared to a normal pc

now if i were to ask him what resolution he is going to be running and what games, i bet you a single x1950pro would be sufficient but he wants to waste his money anyway

if you wanna go the SLI route and are willing to spend this amount of money why not get the 680i? seems like you havent put any thought into this at all, or you have no clue as to what you are doing

these are rough figures

£400 - cpu
£300 - ram
£720 - gtx's
£160 - psu

now lets assume you have all the other parts needed, case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, os, etc

your talking about £1600 here excluding your cheap £75 mobo why not buy the £150 mobo which runs 4 gigs of ram much better?

i await your response with great anticipation

Last edited:
Soldato
well, i'm going to be running a 32" HD LCD screen :) and a 24" dell, all at full resi ;)

4gb isn't straight off 2gb then another 2 :) just for vista

anyhow back on topic....

Caporegime
waso_dude said:
well, i'm going to be running a 32" HD LCD screen :) and a 24" dell, all at full resi ;)

4gb isn't straight off 2gb then another 2 :) just for vista

anyhow back on topic....

im currently running a 32 inch hd screen and i can play everything maxed out using a single x1900xt, and you only need a powerful graphics card for gaming, and when you will be gaming you will only be able to use 1 screen, so 1 8800gtx will be suffice for both screens at the same time

please note you cannot do dual monitors with sli so this clarifys that you dont know what you are doing as i suspected, unless your gonna buy a 3rd card which works in a pci slot, then you may be able to run 2 monitors but with 3 graphics cards and only 1 of them will be using your sli cards

my best advice for you would be to start a new thread telling us what you need from your new pc, what you will be using it for, what your budget is and what components you already have, then you could see for yourself SLI is pointless

Back
Top Bottom