• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Xeon Upgrade for Intel i7-5930K

For V3 CPUs there is a way to unlock the Turbo Boost multipliers so they can all have the highest possible turbo value. There's lots of X99 AliExpress motherboards with modified BIOS available for this, don't know the situation with actual boards that aren't frankenstein'd by a third party.

See this video for some info:

Pretty sure a 3900X would handily beat the vast majority of the Skylake Xeons in most scenarios, the area in question would be memory bandwidth and capacity. It’s a completely moot argument to make though as a Skylake Xeon build would require a full system so you’d be looking at Broadwell.

Skylake has a few advantages but those are now unsupported Intel and don’t have anything to do with CPU performance. Outside of some pretty niche use cases it’s all about Zen full steam ahead.
See, that’s what I was thinking but I can’t find an apples to apples comparison.

Those benchmarks armageus posted above are synthetic results and not representative of real world performance.

I’ve seen an amateur YouTuber compare an AMD 5600X to an older Xeon processor and the 5600X was often 100% or more better than the older Xeon processor but it wasn’t the same generation of processor that OP is considering or has at the moment so I’m not going to make a decision or judgement just on that.

It’s up to OP and what they want. If the older processors work for them then sure and that’s great.

I’m just still in the opinion that an upgrade to AM4 would be worth the extra cost, even if the older CPU upgrade path is less than the cost of a meal for 2.

Edit; found this!

Therefore, a 5900X is going to be significantly faster.

Last edited:
For V3 CPUs there is a way to unlock the Turbo Boost multipliers so they can all have the highest possible turbo value. There's lots of X99 AliExpress motherboards with modified BIOS available for this, don't know the situation with actual boards that aren't frankenstein'd by a third party.

See this video for some info:

Those Chinese motherboards could be little questionable in terms of security. I wouldn’t like to be connecting something like that to a network. Older generation Xeon aren’t great in terms performance per watt at stock so power use and overclocking an old system running as a server might introduce some stability issues.

Those Chinese motherboards could be little questionable in terms of security. I wouldn’t like to be connecting something like that to a network. Older generation Xeon aren’t great in terms performance per watt at stock so power use and overclocking an old system running as a server might introduce some stability issues.
Oh I wasn't recommending getting a Chinese motherboard, but the V3s have a turbo boost unlock and that guide shows how to do it.
Edit: Though my Machinist X99 MR9A did only cost $40, and that's a good motherboard

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom