XMP, RMA or something else?

Soldato
No worries, it's a fair assumption to make these days but Intel made more sense on price/performance for me right now.

I haven't tried messing with c states but I'm afraid it's not an option any more as the memory is with DPD on it's way back to ocuk :).

I've got a Corsair kit arriving tomorrow that's based on Samsung chips so I'm hoping that will just plug and play with no issues.
Good luck, if it still doesn't work I'd try to get a spare PSU to test with (as it's easier to swap out) and then I'd look at the motherboard.

Associate
OP
Whelp, it wasn't the memory :(.

The new corsair kit wouldn't even boot with both sticks in. Managed to get into windows with 1 stick but I'm down to CPU and/or mobo being the issue now.

Soldato

The new corsair kit wouldn't even boot with both sticks in. Managed to get into windows with 1 stick but I'm down to CPU and/or mobo being the issue now.
Sorry to hear that :( . I think it's more likely to be the motherboard but I'm not absolutely sure, also you can try clearing the CMOS but it will reset your BIOS settings.

Soldato

is the new kit the same as the old kit, it could just be the memory controller not liking the ram. intel dose tend to have less ram problems then AMD so....

RMA stuff... that's the only way forward

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I've been away with work this week and haven't had much time to test, but I *think* I've cracked it and am absolutely kicking myself...

I have a PCIe gen 3 riser and hadn't set the bios to limit the gpu slot to gen 3. I tried a few more things before making that change and haven't seen a crash since, which puts me about 10 hours of use in at this point; well beyond anything I'd managed before.

It doesn't explain why the diagnostic led relating to memory was what it was stalling on during boot and why changes in dimm slots/number of sticks etc was having an impact on whether it would boot/how long before crashes... but if it stays stable then I'm going to keep using it and see how things go.

Soldato
I have a PCIe gen 3 riser and hadn't set the bios to limit the gpu slot to gen 3. I tried a few more things before making that change and haven't seen a crash since, which puts me about 10 hours of use in at this point; well beyond anything I'd managed before.

i had the same problem, b550 board(pcie4) 6600xt(pcie4) pcie3 riser cable..... so so so many problems. if you get bios set to 3.0 your all good untill you have reset bios and it all starts again.

in my case i had to strip the system so i could put the gpu in the pcie slot > in to bios to sext pcie 3.0 > rebuild system

Associate
OP
Yep, seems to be good so far. Now I just need to figure out what's causing this stuttering on my mouse input! Not ideal when you're playing a shooter and 1/5 clicks doesn't register...

Back
Top Bottom