XMP - system post in safe mode. Question.

Associate
Hi. My mobo is Asus Z370 Pro Gaming. And rams: Gskill 2x8GB 2133mhz ( XMP 3000mhz ).
Cpu 8700K. When i choose in UEFI first time XMP profile i saved and booted fine to UEFI.
But after my second booting pc, i met screen:
THE SYSTEM HAS POSTED IN SAFE MODE.
This happened just once. Now its booting fine,but i dont know why it booted just once with this message.

This is screen from internet ,but the same msg:
z37.jpg

So its my XMP not stable or what? My psu also is Corsair 750RM i

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Weird. Yeah i see on rog asus com forum. I just ask. It happened once, now its booting fine without that warning. But it happened once. So i dont know why it happened once.

Soldato
Computers innit.
If it's working now don't worry about it.

Mine threw a few hissy fits /reboots when building it up and setting things up at first.
It started behaving itself and has been fine since.

Associate
OP
I have stock default uefi. No updated.

I tried to reproduce this warning but i am not able to do that. Reverting to standard and then again to XMP save. Turn off pc by power button. But not warning. Any ideas why it happened just once,and still its something wrong?
This occured when pc was off some time , 4 hours . And then.

2 times, i turn off my pc for 12 hours,booted in morning, and fine again. But i want to be sure thats all is ok.
Memtest not showing errors also.
Really appreciate it for help. This is my new pc.

Soldato
I have stock default uefi. No updated.

I tried to reproduce this warning but i am not able to do that. Reverting to standard and then again to XMP save. Turn off pc by power button. But not warning. Any ideas why it happened just once,and still its something wrong?
This occured when pc was off some time , 4 hours . And then.

2 times, i turn off my pc for 12 hours,booted in morning, and fine again. But i want to be sure thats all is ok.

I explained what it likely was to you on ROG. Unless you have a deeper understanding of how memory training works, and the pitfalls of overclocking memory then simply asking the same question over and over again isn't going to help you.

Just use the PC.

Associate
OP
On a fresh formatted ssd i install Windows 10. When i installed Windows 10 there was a problem with...

1.When i go to windows settings, no matter what i click on system settings it wont opened. SO click and nothing.

2.Problem with web browsers ( Firefox and Chrome ). When i go to some site, and try to download something ( right click save ), browser just hang,and not respond. I had to click X on the browser.

This happens in BOTH Firefox and Chrome, which is why I think it's an issue on Windows' part?

I dont know how but after 2-3 restart now its all fine and working fine. I just ask why that happened? It maybe was related to my rams?

But like i said now its fine.

Soldato
I had the same thing on my Asus Z370-F, when I first set XMP, it will go into safe mode, then after that it is ok, I suspect it is something to do with the motherboard testing stability or "memory training" or something like that, if it can run stress tests and memory tests then I think it is ok. It is a bit disconcerting though when it does that.

Soldato
I had the same thing on my Asus Z370-F, when I first set XMP, it will go into safe mode, then after that it is ok, I suspect it is something to do with the motherboard testing stability or "memory training" or something like that, if it can run stress tests and memory tests then I think it is ok. It is a bit disconcerting though when it does that.

The only reason it will revert to safe mode after applying a memory profile, is if it fails POST stress tests (or memory training). OS stability and POST stress tests are not one and the same. However, if as in the above it doesn't reoccur, then it's likely stable enough or as close to without the need for intervention by the user

Soldato
The only reason it will revert to safe mode after applying a memory profile, is if it fails POST stress tests (or memory training). OS stability and POST stress tests are not one and the same. However, if as in the above it doesn't reoccur, then it's likely stable enough or as close to without the need for intervention by the user

Its odd though because when I set XMP, which is 3600mhz 19 18 18 42 or something, also with high voltages, I get the thing where it goes to the "system did not post properly" or whatever it says, then after that it has been ok for a week, then if I set the memory to 16 16 16 38 timings manually, it does not have the same problem, it just posts normally and is ok, so you would think if the memory was slightly unstable at 19-18-18-42, it would have no chance at 16-16-16-38...

But the memory has been completely fine at C16 and it only did the "system did not post properly" when activating XMP it did the same thing twice... when lowering timings to C16 it is ok and no problems. Which makes me think it could be a bug with the bios or some sort of stability testing / memory training or whatever else.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its odd though because when I set XMP, which is 3600mhz 19 18 18 42 or something, also with high voltages, I get the thing where it goes to the "system did not post properly" or whatever it says, then after that it has been ok for a week, then if I set the memory to 16 16 16 38 timings manually, it does not have the same problem, it just posts normally and is ok, so you would think if the memory was slightly unstable at 19-18-18-42, it would have no chance at 16-16-16-38...

But the memory has been completely fine at C16 and it only did the "system did not post properly" when activating XMP it did the same thing twice... when lowering timings to C16 it is ok and no problems. Which makes me think it could be a bug with the bios or some sort of stability testing / memory training or whatever else.

If it only does it when enabling a memory overclock then it's down to training instability, and not a whole lot else. The nature of POST stress tests are either pass or fail depending on signal margin.

Soldato
If it only does it when enabling a memory overclock then it's down to training instability, and not a whole lot else. The nature of POST stress tests are either pass or fail depending on signal margin.

Mm well as I said it does not do this when lowering the memory timings to 16 16 16 38, only when changing from default to XMP, which is timings of 19-18-18

Soldato
Depends on the memory kit and what's programmed into SPD on that kit, really.

But do you see my point here, that it has that "booted in safe mode" message when changing to XMP, it does this every time, BUT when changing the timings to 16 16 16 38, including lowering all the voltages like VCCIO etc. it has no problem at all, this to me sounds more like a bug or some sort of bios feature, than being unstable.. Also a few other reports of the same thing on Asus boards.

Soldato
But do you see my point here, that it has that "booted in safe mode" message when changing to XMP, it does this every time, BUT when changing the timings to 16 16 16 38, including lowering all the voltages like VCCIO etc. it has no problem at all, this to me sounds more like a bug or some sort of bios feature, than being unstable.. Also a few other reports of the same thing on Asus boards.

It's not a bug, as I said, it depends what else is programmed into the XMP profile that's causing the instability. Training failure is training failure

Associate
OP
I tried to reproduce this warning but i am not able to do that. Turning off pc turning on pc again many times,without fail safe mode. It happened once.
So still should i be worry or just ignore that single occurence?

Few times, i turn off my pc for 12 hours,booted in morning, and fine again. But i want to be sure thats all is ok.

Also pc working stable with XMP profile.

Back
Top Bottom