XP and 4GB

Soldato
Running x64 at the moment.

Is very powerful but the support is non-existent. Vista 64 would be better so if you can get it then do!

I must admit it's lovely opening 5 or 6 programmes and still have less than 50% memory usage! :D

With the prices i'm contemplating maxing my board to 8gb.

gt

Soldato
barrymacp said:
I only play steam games thats about it doesnt use any programs realy sept nero so would only need gfx drivers, lan drivers etc that would be me.
You should be fine then barry,

I have lan and graphics drivers on but my audio is not. It's on board on the Gigabyte P35 in sig. Guess it's too new to be supported! :(

Gonna throw a creative card in as that should work ok!

My other problem is that Canon don't make drivers for their older printers on newer OS'! Nor x64 or vista 32/64 are supported for my beloved i965 printer.

Looks like i'll have to dual boot if i wanna print any of my photography. :mad:

You'd have thought a large corporation would happily make all their (recent) products compatible with newer OS'!

Pretty dissappointing!

gt

Soldato
Cob said:
My P35 DS3P's sound works fine in both x64 XP and x64 Vista.
No way!!!!

Mine had a total spaz!

Said it needed a HD audio patch for windows and when i went to download it i was told it was included in the service pack for x64 and would not be installed!!!!

Done it twice too with no joy!

Typical! :(

gt

Soldato
barrymacp said:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Vista/default.asp

Says vista 32bit supports 4gb of ram

It does support the ability to address 4GB of RAM.

That's 4Gb minus;

Your Video RAM - say 320MB = 3776Mb
Your BIOS - 8Mb on the P35 = 3768Mb
Anything upto 640Mb of pooled storage (useable by the system and programs)
Anything upto 256Mb of non-pooled storage (useable by the system only)

So, if you have absolutely nothing running except Windows XP/Vista 32-bit and you have a 8800GTS then the maximum RAM you will see available is about 3.5Gb and more than likely you will see 3Gb as the system loads up lots of little background tasks like virus checkers, the Windows firewall etc. etc.

Then, to add insult to injury Windows splits whatever is left and takes half for itself and half for the programs you want to run. So, from your 4Gb, you probably actually only have about 1.5Gb of actual space useable by applications.

You probably also want to remove the reference to getting yourself a cracked copy of XP Pro64 as that's a bit too naughty for the OcUK forums....

Associate
I run 4GB on XP-32, and realistacally about 2.8 GB are available to user applications after the o/s and graphics take advantage.
I run g.a. simulations, literally thousands of them, and its certainly helped me - at least until sp1 for Vista 64-bit comes out.
But apart from specific usage scenarios, if you're gaming and general home use I'd pass tbh. hth. :)

Back
Top Bottom