xp loading takes agggges

Soldato
So, i formatted recently.

My old boot time was under 20 (or there about) seconds, doing one maybe two loads of the loading bar then booting up.

Why the fudge is it doing 20+ loads :/ And shutting down is dire too.

I've tried the usual, tunexp(rearrange/defrag boot files), general defrag etc, not a squat of difference.

Help? :(

Associate
I had something similar. Might have been a coincidental fluke, but I disabled System Restore on all drives. Defragged from that point then reboots were much faster.

Soldato
OP
boot vis, red letters saying disk write cache is disabled
?

shows a 54 second blank gap, then shows activity of windows loading.

tried the optimize system and its the same, also tried turning off sys restore and its the same

Associate
just a guess, but have you disabled unwanted programs from the msconfig menu?????

i saved loads of time doing that.

Just dont turn off the system tray!

hope it helps

Soldato
31 still a lot, have you disabled all unused IDE channels in device manager, if you dont windows usually stands there searching for a drive that doesn't exist...

1)) Right click on "My Computer", select the Hardware tab, and Select Device Manager.
2) Expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller" and double-click on "Primary IDE Channel"
3) Under "Advanced Settings" tab, check the devices settings. Set it to none on the device type (from automatic detection) if you can (if you can't it means there's a drive on that channel then you dont wnat to disable this)
4) Repeat the step for the "Secondary IDE Channel"

Soldato
OP
well, 99% of the time no sound is coming out. Microphone works fine though.

every couple of boots, itll sound the windows start tune, ill start winamp, all is good. Then suddenly no sound.

There is one thing I saw which made me wonder earlier: in cretive diagnostic thing (like dxdiag) it shows devices>hardware>xfi> then this:

Device name:
- Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)

Hardware location:
- PCI bus 5, device 8, function 0

- Device driver is loaded.
- Device is configured.
- Device can be rebalanced.

Problem:
- Device has no problem.

Device capabilities:
- Hardware disabled

Hardware disabled? Shouldnt that be..enabled? :/ Everything in device manager etc says its enabled.

Was just a thought though.

Its just odd it works sometimes, worked for a few mins othertimes then cuts out, or doesnt work at all.

Back
Top Bottom