XP login issues

Soldato
Hey all,

Got a problem which I've got no idea about.
When windows is starting it doesn't get to the login page. It stops justed prior to that with the small Windows XP logo. (I mean the blue page one, which you normally only see for about a second).

I've got no shutdown button, only the blue page with the logo.

Any ideas?

Oh and nothing has been changed/installed in a while, just decided to reboot before bed last night and this happened.

Edit:XP Pro SP2

Soldato
OP
So its the same in safe mode and last known config, I've disconnected my network as this can sometimes be the cause this issue. And I've put another hard drive in to boot off. Ran a scan disk which found a bit of free space, no other errors. On a quick glance I don't see anthing wrong with windows on it. But of course I don't really know whats up..?

Soldato
From my experience this can be due to a GFX card driver/service failing to start, but if it doesn't work in safe mode, i would presume that is not the case.

Do you have a Windows XP disk? If so boot from it and enter the recovery console. Check the below link out and begin to restore system files, etc. LISTSVC will show yopu any services that are running.

I would start by replacing system files, etc. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058

The below link is also useful

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

Good luck, and let us know how you get on

Soldato
OP
Cheers, I was in the revcovery consol last night, but couldn't for the life of me remember how to bring the services up to disable some of them.

I'll give this a try after work...

Soldato
OP
Well I'm stuck, checked all the services and drivers I have installed and its listing over a 100. Theres no way I could sort that as I've no idea what half of them are. Any other suggestions?

Edit: I've reformatted it to resolve the issue. No idea what it was.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom