XP Pro or Home

Associate
Looking for general opinions on both of these versions.

I need to buy one of these for a new build. Currently using XP Pro on my main but looking to save a few quid on Home. I am aware of the differences between the two versions, but do they make any difference?

All I'll be using this new rig for is Gaming, IM and net.

Also been thinking of going linux (namely gentoo) but I've tried a couple of times before to no avail.

Cheers

Associate
OP
Btw, I'm running an AMD 64X2 3800+

I've heard that some people have had problems in Home getting these to work properly, is there any truth to this? Would I be better off getting XP Pro?

Soldato
Not that I know of, XP Home supports dual core processors no problem. What it doesn't support however is two CPUs (two physical sockets on the motherboard), whereas XP Pro does.

If you don't understand that - I may be able to explain a little better :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally ~I have never liked home since its inception, however I believe it has got a lot better

I either run MCE2005 or XP Pro ( I personally think MCE is based on Pro but with the 2nd disc as a front end, however some seem to think its Home with a second disc.....)

Soldato
i switched from pro to home and didnt realise my storage drive type was set to dynamic. home doesnt support this so i had to copy the whole drive and reformat it which was slightly annoying.

Back
Top Bottom