XP Professional user profiles question!

Associate
Does anyone know if its possible to setup a user profile with only internet access available in XP Pro (ie no hard drive access privledges etc)?

Thanks.

Soldato
Sort of, i set up 30 users on a local network so that they have acces to a single web site for work purposes, they cannot access ANYTHING else, to do so, create a normal User profile, then lock it down using secpol.msc

Permabanned
Not automatically no- you could tie things down pretty tightly manually with NTFS permissions and local group policy (e.g. take away their rights to their "My Documents" Folder, dont display /dont allow "My Documents" and "My Computer" shortcuts, tie down the rest of the disk).

However they will still need *some* disk access for saving things like internet cache files, program settings in Appdata etc.

The alternative I suppose would be to enable the Guest account and have them use that. Probably won't provide exactly what you're looking for but if you want people to use a very limited account in as quick and simple a manner as possible it would be the way to go

Back
Top Bottom