XP SP3

Soldato
I have had no problems with SP3 (apart from one with a fresh install, but this was fixed by integrating SP3 into my disk - nLite). XP is my primary OS.

However, SP3 is mainly updates, so, if you are planning to reinstall anytime soon, I would recommend installing that as part of your install, before running Windows Update, it saves a lot of updates being downloaded - which is more than nice!

bum

bum

Associate
Thanks lads for the quick replies I will give it a go on my next clean install.

Do you run an asus mobo? Some people experienced a restart loop after they got SP3, as well as general usbport error with SP3.

I had SP3 on my laptop for months before it decided to randomly mess up my system everytime a usb device (mouse, mobile dongle...etc except memory stick) is plugged in and after countless research into the problem and forum reading, it seems that this was a rather common error with SP3 and microsoft still haven't released a patch to fix this error yet.

So at the moment in order for my laptop to run properly, I had to uninstall SP3 and the problem is fixed :eek:

Soldato
SP3 definitely worth it. Has loads of fixes/patches/updates etc. You can either get them individually (I think) which would take ages or in one service pack. As swinnie says get nLite and integrate SP3 into your XP install that way. :)

Soldato
ASUS P4P800 + another ASUS same age - 2/3 PCS upgraded OK. 1 didn't at first and had to follow MS help on MS site - then OK (probably due to not switching off AVG during instsall?)

Mel

Soldato
Do you run an asus mobo? Some people experienced a restart loop after they got SP3, as well as general usbport error with SP3.

I have recently been twonking about with my ASUS... The A8N-SLI to be precise, and it has been giving me nothing but issues. I originally put these down to the fact that I was tinkering again with RAID, then that I had intergrated the Mobo & GFX Drivers in, and that many combinations of the drivers would fail it anyway, and thats what was happening, and then somehting else and then somethign else...

could it be SP3 I wonder?

I did originally want XP64 but I have been using boring old XP instead.

Got me wondering now.

Back
Top Bottom