Xp, Vista (32,64) ram usage

Soldato
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

The 4Gb in 32-bit doesn't take into account kernel and system resources, so you'll rather see ~3.2Gb, 64-bit doesn't have that problem.

I'm running Vista 32bit home prem, have 4Gb memory which shows ok on boot up , but like you state only 3.2Gb in system properties, so 1gig is redundant ? or is there something i need to change for it to show 4Gb ? thx in advance

Soldato
Not much you can do really.

What are your PC's specs btw? I recommend 64-bit since there's slowly more and more support for it (even some games like FarCry, WoW, Source games) and the most popular software. Just that drivers are still a bit iffy due to lazy manufacturers, and Vista makes it awkward if you aren't running the latest official drivers.

Last edited:
Soldato
[email protected], Vista Home Prem 32bit , 4Gb Ram, 8800GTX 768mb and dont laugh an MSI 975x Plat sli mobo

i run it all at stock speeds, I'm not to confident at overclocking and grabbed the 2gig GeIL for £32

I doubt i'll be upgrading to 64-bit soon, unless its of benefit in newer games etc .. ive heard the beta of Vista service pack is underway so maybe that will help, cheers tho