Yamaha DSP-AX757SE and X-Fi

rlm

rlm

Associate
I've recently bought the above amp for my home cinema setup, however I would also like to use it through the pc for gaming, my problem is that currently I don’t have a sound card capable of anything above 2 channel audio. If I was to buy the X-fi FPS could I connect this up to my amp using an SPDIF optical cable and get full surround sound from games out of this? If not then could I use a cable from the jacks on the sound card (for front, rear, sub/centre) and plug them directly into the relevant multi channel inputs on the back of the amp?

Cheers.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
You could do that, but there are significantly better sound cards available for significantly less money. Damn, £150 on a terrible card? How creative pulled it off, I dont know....

Get something like an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or E-Mu 0404. No more than £60 and you can enjoy reasonable stereo from your PC as well as using the coax output to get the digital to your amp for surround.

Soldato
There is a way to encode to Dolby Digital on the fly in games and then have that sent to the amp but you will need a card that does Dolby Digital Live like the HDA Digital X-Mystique, I have one of these and it works great :).

I use it from my PC to my Denon 2805 and it works well in games giving all the channels and a LFE feed.

MB

rlm

rlm

Associate
OP
Thanks Matblack, didnt realise there were cards that had that functionality. If I didnt want this, and wanted EAX support, then could I use the other method that I mentioned? Just looking at all my options.

Soldato
rlm said:
Thanks Matblack, didnt realise there were cards that had that functionality. If I didnt want this, and wanted EAX support, then could I use the other method that I mentioned? Just looking at all my options.

If your sound card has 3.5mm jack outs carrying 2 channels each you can use a jack to RCA converter and plug the individual channels into the back of your AV amp as long as the amp has seperate inputs for all the channels.

The Mystiqe has EAX support I think although I don't use it :)

MB

rlm

rlm

Associate
OP
Ok thanks, just wanted to make sure that I could have surround sound with my games through this new setup. Will have the whole setup by the end of the month and will report on what its like. Can't wait. Just need to choose a decent sound card too now, may well choose the same one you have Matt, nice price on it.

Back
Top Bottom