Yamaha R6 Engine temps

Associate
I know theres a few R6 owners on the forums, I'm just interested in what your engine temperatures seem to average.

I've owned my R6 for a month now, and I cant help notice how hot the little bugger gets. I'd say my average temperature seems to be about 78-82 degrees, and goes as high as 90-95 when stuck in traffic jams. I noticed it most last weekend when I got stuck in a jam in heavy rain - the amount of steam pouring out the front was amazing!

Whilst its still under warrenty I wanted to make sure this is normal?!?!

I know it's totally different in every way, but the Aprilia RS125 SP I owned previously would sit at about 65-70 degrees. It didnt smell nearly as hot as the R6 when I get off either.

Chris

Associate
OP
mrgubby said:
Sounds about right , mine sits at 80c unless I'm getting frisky ;)

But you've got me confused, what does stuck in traffic mean :confused:

:p haha! Yes, yes, I still havent transfered from a car driver mindset to that of a biker. I still find myself sitting behind old biddies wishing they'd hurry up, then realise I could blast past them in a second.

Thanks for the info though, put my mind at rest.

Now whats with some riders noding and others not? Do I nod only to sports riders? confused :confused:

Soldato
mrgubby said:
But you've got me confused, what does stuck in traffic mean :confused:

:D I like it

Sorry to derail the thread, but can I ask a question.....I was running some insurance quotes the other day for some bikes and the R6 costs less than half as much to insure as a cbr600, gsxr 600, zx6r and the like.

Maybe ive missed something in my state of noobness, but why is this?

Associate
<(Multi)> said:
Now whats with some riders noding and others not? Do I nod only to sports riders? confused :confused:

Woah stop right there, that's a slippery slope. Tossers don't nod, or people that are concentrating hard and haven't noticed the other bike. That's the only nodding rule. I nod regardless, if it's not returned then hey, so what. He probably has issues with his sexuality.

Soldato
Nazbit said:
:D I like it

Sorry to derail the thread, but can I ask a question.....I was running some insurance quotes the other day for some bikes and the R6 costs less than half as much to insure as a cbr600, gsxr 600, zx6r and the like.

These guys were staggeringly cheaper than any other company for my on my gixer. I pay £250.

http://www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk/

Last edited:
Soldato
Akira said:
Woah stop right there, that's a slippery slope. Tossers don't nod, or people that are concentrating hard and haven't noticed the other bike. That's the only nodding rule. I nod regardless, if it's not returned then hey, so what. He probably has issues with his sexuality.

I only don't nod to gangs of youths on mopeds. You know the ones, they generally tend to look like they're only riding a bike as they can't afford a big enough spoiler for their Corsa :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Nazbit said:

I chose my R6 on that principle and thank god it turned out to be a good choice :)

I was looking into buying a GSXR 600 TPFT quotes ranged from £950-1500

Then I looked at a CBR600 RR, TPFT was £1300-2000

A ZX6 was something silly like £2k+

All these quotes are for male, 22, 0ncb, ST7 postcode.

My R6 was £350!!!!! Thats cheaper than my Rover 200 1.4, has more power and I should imagine little thief jonny down the road would prefer an R6 than a Rover 200??

Associate
Cyanide said:
I only don't nod to gangs of youths on mopeds. You know the ones, they generally tend to look like they're only riding a bike as they can't afford a big enough spoiler for their Corsa :rolleyes:

I would have thought that went without saying. We are discussing bikers after all.

Soldato
Akira said:
I would have thought that went without saying. We are discussing bikers after all.

I used to get nods when I was on my moped :D

Probably because I actually bothered with proper bike gear so I actually looked like I cared.

*misses his bike* :(

Soldato
Ollie's Gadgets said:
What is your opinion of the R6?

Flippin Great!
Although ive got very little bike experience to compare it against, its my first bike and ive done about 2000miles since I bought it.
Some people said its a bit much for a first bike, but I only ride within my own limits which is way under the bikes limits, so its generally very predicatable.

Soldato
moss said:
Mine usually sits around 75-80'c in normal use, up to about 90'c if im giving it some.

that seems to be back to front to me? :D

the faster you go the lower the temps tend to be, thats how air cooling a radiator works, on my Aprilia if i am filtering it tends to work itself up to anywhere between 90-100, once i get back out in the open again within a minute or so its back to around 80-85 :)

i wouldnt worry about it either way, the fans tend to kick in at around 95-105 on most sports bikes, if you are concerned that its running a little hotter than you want then have a look round for a fan switch that reacts at a lower temperature, it just means that your fan cuts in slightly earlier :)

Soldato
mrgubby said:
Had everything from Honda 250 superdreams :o to GSXR1100's , the 'most fun' bikes I've ever owned/ridden are a RGV250 & my present R6. The RGV was mental but not fast enough while the R6 just does everything I ask :cool: .

Shoulda tried the RG500..

mental bike....

Shared the bejesus outta me... but it was well tweaked with a set of race pipes

I am surprised the other bikes were that expensive insurance wise tbh, when i got mine, the zx6r was one of the cheapest.. but then it was only 600cc hehe

:D

Back
Top Bottom