Yay - back from the desert!

Soldato
Just a quicky - I'm now back from the Sahara after completeing the Marathon Des Sables.

This years was particularly tough with record drop outs and extreme weather conditions but it has been the best experinece I have ever had.

There were low points - digging a hole under a rock and crawling into it for a brief excape from the sun.

High points - running a personal worst on the marathon day of 5hrs52, but felt like I was flying (literally) for the duration, this after already covering 100+miles.

Emotional points - crying as I crossed the finish on day 3 with Robbie William's Angels in my head for some reason and crying again as I applauded the final person across the line after the long day.

I'll try and get my thoughts together for a full report with some pics but it'll prob take a few days before I come back down to earth.

If anyone is thinking of doing this event - DO IT!!

Steve

Associate
Sounds very cool, according to Wikipedia it is the toughest foot race on earth :eek:

I would love to do something like this, but I always think about the worse case scenarios, then end up putting myself off! :p

Also firstborn, is it all through the desert or do you pass through towns etc. ?

Soldato
OP
Carlos_S said:
Sounds very cool, according to Wikipedia it is the toughest foot race on earth :eek:

I would love to do something like this, but I always think about the worse case scenarios, then end up putting myself off! :p

Also firstborn, is it all through the desert or do you pass through towns etc. ?

Don't think about the worst!

Well the race passes by places where people live but you couldn't call them towns. The odd mud hut - but the majority is desert.

Pics from the race and press reports etc are now up on the organisers webby:

http://www.darbaroud.com/uk/index_uk.php

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Wow! Kudos for finishing Steve, that really is quite an achievement.

What was it like at night? Was there some kind of camp where groups of you slept?

How long did you spend preparing? And, if you don't mind, what was the personal cost to you?

Congratulations. :)

Soldato
OP
Tru said:
Wow! Kudos for finishing Steve, that really is quite an achievement.

What was it like at night? Was there some kind of camp where groups of you slept?

How long did you spend preparing? And, if you don't mind, what was the personal cost to you?

Congratulations. :)

Cheers.

A camp was prepared at the end of each stage for all competitors. On the first day you find a tent and share the same tent with the same people for the rest of the week - 8 to a tent. The group you end up with could make or break the race. I was very lucky to find a tent with a few I already knew and it turned out to be a great tent and morale was always kept high - especially as we also had the top brit in our tent who also just happend to be a top bloke. We were one of the few tents that survived intact without any drop outs.

Preparation began when I entered in Dec 2004 and takes up a considerable amount of time. Not only is there the training but the continuous evaluation of kit.

I'd say all in all (entry, kit, preparation events etc) I spent at least £4500. But do not regret spending one penny of it.

Soldato
Just heard something like this on the paul o grady show(i was sitting waiting on ma dad giving me my fry up). Seems to be the same event.

Good job man.

Soldato
wow :) congratulations mate... what an awesome achievement... i'd love to be able to do something like that, but i'm nowhere near the physical fitness to do it.

how much did it cost in total to get you into the race? (getting there, training, race fee {if there was one} etc...)

very well done though
icon14.gif

Soldato
firstborn, you have my respect. That is incredible. I cant even run a half marathon! Its truely amazing that you were crazy enough to enter!! :cool:

Any links to a website with some pics?

Soldato
I'm just posting to show my admiration dude. You've done something that i really could never see myself doing. And raised money for a worthy cause during the process. Bravo :).

Back
Top Bottom