Yearly performance review

Soldato
Hi all,

Just wanting some advice on how to go about wording a question to my manager so that it doesn't come across unprofessional. When I was offered this job, I asked about possibilities of salary going up based on a yearly performance review.

I have my 6 month review this week and wanted to ask about the above. The information I want to get is that what should I be expecting in X number of years if my performance keeps up? There is no real progression in my role and I have a colleague who has been here for over 10 years and we have very similar responsibilities. I'm too shy/afraid to ask the colleague myself as it's a personal matter.

How do I word my question to the manager to find out the information I need while staying professional?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
"what should I be expecting in X number of years if my performance keeps up?" is fine.

I think you already know the answer though :(

Yeah, I suppose that's straight to the point.
I had plans of 2-3 years here but now it's depending on what I will be getting in 6 months time.
The more specific info I want is if there's a % value of salary increase per year but I'm sure it's not as easy/simple as that.

Soldato
There is no real progression in my role and I have a colleague who has been here for over 10 years and we have very similar responsibilities. I'm too shy/afraid to ask the colleague myself as it's a personal matter.

I've never understood this no real progression thing. Have you asked your line manager about this or spoken to him expressing you fancy bettering yourself? Just because someone has been there for 10 years and hasn't it doesn't mean you can't. Maybe that person has no interest in progressing for whatever reason.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain if nothing else it will show you are showing ambition which is never a bad thing.

All of the above is assuming you are decent worker which I am sure you are :)

Soldato
OP
We're a small team consisting of 4 people, 1 manager, 1 supervisor and me and another guy.
The Network Support team which is were I would like to be in the future consists of 3 people which hasn't changed.
All of the above is why I assumed the progression thing.

Anyway, I had the review and everything was perfect and asked the question I wanted to.
Yearly salary increase is 3% which has made me start thinking of my options.

Soldato
We're a small team consisting of 4 people, 1 manager, 1 supervisor and me and another guy.
The Network Support team which is were I would like to be in the future consists of 3 people which hasn't changed.
All of the above is why I assumed the progression thing.

Anyway, I had the review and everything was perfect and asked the question I wanted to.
Yearly salary increase is 3% which has made me start thinking of my options.

Did you mention you ambition to better yourself? I'm curious what the response was?

Soldato
OP
Three percent is better than nothing, but I can absolutely guarantee you can increase your wage by more than that by moving jobs.
Indeed. I will talk to my manager to see if something can be arranged with the Network team as that's were I'd like to be. Failing that I'll do up my CV and just fling it in different directions and see where it takes me.

Soldato
Depending on what you want to get training in, if they're prepared to fund it it might be worth hanging around.

I'm guessing from the question you're fairly junior and new to the full time work world.

3% pa isn't fantastic but it's not a bad guarantee.

But you'll have years to get the payback in the rest of your career if you invest your time now and get a worthwhile qualification funded by them.

If there's a qualification you want that you believe will help you make the next step and a nice pay rise and they'll pay for it, consider that against moving now to someone who won't invest in you but might perhaps pay a little more right now.

Soldato
It depends on your working relationship with your manager and the financial constraints they are under.

Many years ago i took a job on the basis of a pay rise after the three month probation period. It didn't appear so i left for the first good opportunity.

Another manager who was very good to work for gave me training courses and pay rises as my skills and experience developed, i didn't ask for them. When i was eventually looking for a more senior role and to relocate i discussed it with them honestly and they made me an alternative offer.

It really depends on who you work for with a bit of luck around what is on offer

Soldato
OP
Depending on what you want to get training in, if they're prepared to fund it it might be worth hanging around.

I'm guessing from the question you're fairly junior and new to the full time work world.

3% pa isn't fantastic but it's not a bad guarantee.

But you'll have years to get the payback in the rest of your career if you invest your time now and get a worthwhile qualification funded by them.

If there's a qualification you want that you believe will help you make the next step and a nice pay rise and they'll pay for it, consider that against moving now to someone who won't invest in you but might perhaps pay a little more right now.

I graduated uni with a 2.1 in CompSci in July 2017 and was offered the job before even graduating. Me being naive, I thought great I didn't even have to do an interview and I was just happy I landed a job. Now I'm thinking about my future and that's how these questions arose.

It depends on your working relationship with your manager and the financial constraints they are under.

Many years ago i took a job on the basis of a pay rise after the three month probation period. It didn't appear so i left for the first good opportunity.

Another manager who was very good to work for gave me training courses and pay rises as my skills and experience developed, i didn't ask for them. When i was eventually looking for a more senior role and to relocate i discussed it with them honestly and they made me an alternative offer.

It really depends on who you work for with a bit of luck around what is on offer

The place is great and the company ethos/atmosphere is great, however I've realised that I value myself more than what I am getting and that I would like to start pushing for a network support role rather than customer facing tech support.

Anyhow, I have applied for two jobs tonight and have more questions about those! The adverts did not state salary figures but rather the dreaded "competitive" option. At what stage is it acceptable to ask about salary?

Caporegime
Anyhow, I have applied for two jobs tonight and have more questions about those! The adverts did not state salary figures but rather the dreaded "competitive" option. At what stage is it acceptable to ask about salary?

You can ask whenever you want, especially if it is a recruiter handling the role. You'll generally find that they might want to know how much you currently earn first.

There are genuine reasons for having a range and not specifying a salary in the advert... if they're open to people of differing levels of experience then the amount they'll pay one person vs another for the same vacancy could vary considerably.

Caporegime
You can ask whenever you want, especially if it is a recruiter handling the role. You'll generally find that they might want to know how much you currently earn first.

There are genuine reasons for having a range and not specifying a salary in the advert... if they're open to people of differing levels of experience then the amount they'll pay one person vs another for the same vacancy could vary considerably.

Or the company could be willing to pay up to £32k for the right candidate but then when the recruiter comes back with 'What's your expected Salary?' and you say '£26k' they're making a huge saving.

Caporegime
Or the company could be willing to pay up to £32k for the right candidate but then when the recruiter comes back with 'What's your expected Salary?' and you say '£26k' they're making a huge saving.

Indeed that is what the first part of my post is referring to. I mean if you get to the offer stage without having to give a figure then you get to ask for more money too but they generally try not to let that happen. Most hiring managers do have additional budget to be in a position to offer more if a candidate asks after having been made an offer - most candidates don't ask for more.

Soldato
OP
I will most likely leave the question till the end if I get there. Reason being is I haven't had an interview since 2015 and I could do with some refreshers so will hopefully get some under my belt.

Man of Honour
At what stage is it acceptable to ask about salary?

Pretty much anytime I'd say, although preferably not in the middle of an interview. The worst is leaving it until the very last once all interviews are completed, and then finding out that everyone has wasted their time because expectations are too far apart.

Back
Top Bottom