Yellow condiment in Indian takeaways (or onion bhaji dip)

Caporegime
When I've ordered poppadoms in the past, they come with a little bag of salad and a pot of a yellow, minty, thin viscosity liquid (which also goes well with onion bhajis.) Does anyone what the devil it's called and can you buy it in shops?

Ideally, I need something to dip my supermarket onion bhajis in! The nearest thing I've found is raita but that is too thick for my liking.

Caporegime
OP
Aye but what's the deal with buying it in the shops? They don't seem to have anything like that. Is it something I will have to make myself?

What do you guys do with your onion bhajis? Eat them as they are or do you have a favourite dip?

Man of Honour
Asda do little pots of Raita in the chilled takeaway style section which is pretty much the same without the yellow tint IIRC might be worth a shot.

Caporegime
OP
Here you are, this guy makes it in this YouTube video. It's natural yoghurt, mint, lemon juice, mango chutney, yellow food colouring and sugar. But I've had it a bit more watered down this one.

Associate
As far as I remember the authentic Indian accompaniment is tamarind chutney, but it's been years since I read any of my curry books so I may be thinking of something else. I'd be inclined to default to that rather than some British corruption of Indian cuisine (I do feel quite strongly about this haha!).

Soldato
When I've ordered poppadoms in the past, they come with a little bag of salad and a pot of a yellow, minty, thin viscosity liquid (which also goes well with onion bhajis.) Does anyone what the devil it's called and can you buy it in shops?

Ideally, I need something to dip my supermarket onion bhajis in! The nearest thing I've found is raita but that is too thick for my liking.

Mint raita

Back
Top Bottom