I just use the old fashioned :-) on sites that I post, then let OcUK and YouTube render it to the graphical smiley :)

Graphical smileys have always been yellow. I've never known any program, site or app that lets you choose a skin colour, although someone on my WhatsApp beer group does post a dark brown smiley (he's white).

When did smileys become emoticons?

When did emoticons become emojis?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Calling someone "yellow" is dated, could be considered a slur in the same way as calling someone "colored" coud be
Do you honestly think that? I suggest you look into the history if the derogatory term. Yes, "coloured" is dated but used to be an acceptable reference used by the majority. "Yellow", however, I don't believe ever was acceptable and was used either out of ignorance or offence.

I don't see the relevance here
Really? I quoted the specific part in the OP and explained why, in multiple ways. It's not about "relevance", it's about education on an offensive term.

so ignored as I do with most of the content you post...
Well that's just not true is it? You've replied to me many, many times and we've had many, many discussion on a whole range of topics. I do notice you don't like to reply to specific points when you're incorrect or have been called out on certain things.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
What am I incorrect about here?
Interesting. Ignore the substance and choose an unspecific tangent to deflect away.

As you can see in my posts, I've not called you out on things being incorrect here, unless we relate that to your manner.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Glad to hear it, it was getting rather tiresome. Making reference to some association isn't the same thing as calling someone a term that is now considered dated.
Again, "considered dated" is not accurate. And I'd say using the term, whether by reference or directly, all depends on the context, which can quite clearly be seen in your OP.

Regarding your "tiresome" remark, well, if you'd not been so yellow as to hide from my initial reply to this thread then perhaps it wouldn't have become so.

Soldato
Not the case. I used to think that way but emojis and emoticons are useful so that people know your intentions. Punctuation is not the same since 'chat/forum' style comms is very new in human history and things can very easily get misconstrued.
People should be educated sufficiently to understand cynicism, satire w/o a big flag or, often, a false flag -
mores the pity - fundamental ommission there doesn't seem to be a, a troll/larp, emoji that would help some of the communication.

... I concede if you are mixing cultures usa/brit maybe you need them.

Back
Top Bottom