Yelp, thanks Microsoft - a day of MS08-067 hell

Soldato
I say to the people who state that they work in environments which have no downtime havent planned for it properly. To be fair if your server estate is that critical one would assume redudancy is in place so that live systems can be brought down during pre determined maintainance windows.

Soldato
Interesting the comments around lousy infrastructure. As has been said, it's not the implementation that's difficult but the disruption to the working day for the users! If the machine takes ten minutes to re-boot (including shutdown and loading their profile to get back to a desktop) then another five minutes to get all the apps and data reloaded, that's 15 minutes per person. In my office, there are over 2000 people so that's 30,000 minutes or 500 hours of lost productivity = 70 man-days. However you play that, that's money down the drain.

Permabanned
Interesting the comments around lousy infrastructure. As has been said, it's not the implementation that's difficult but the disruption to the working day for the users! If the machine takes ten minutes to re-boot (including shutdown and loading their profile to get back to a desktop) then another five minutes to get all the apps and data reloaded, that's 15 minutes per person. In my office, there are over 2000 people so that's 30,000 minutes or 500 hours of lost productivity = 70 man-days. However you play that, that's money down the drain.
Do the reboot remotely, at night or in the morning?

Soldato
OP
Do the reboot remotely, at night or in the morning?

Thats whats been done here, since many of the support teams are 24/7/365 but there is only a certain number of hours per night and thousands of servers to do....and some as it turns out were not on 2003 Sp1 due to various reasons so thats another complication...

Anyway, its pretty much done now, not a bad effort really.

Back
Top Bottom