Yet another 2500k upgrade thread

Soldato
Hi OCUKers

System as per sig. The upgrade itch is getting stronger and the system is getting old.

I'm used to having super duper overclocking CPUs: E6300 > Q6600 > 2500k.

Now any modern platform will out perform my current system but where are the real overclocking gems? The 2500k has sat at 4.6Ghz for 5 years and been rock solid at a decent increase in speed over the stock 4.2Ghz. Is Ryzen and a move back to AMD the way forward?

I still play lots of single thread games such as Stalker and Kerbal Space program, these games love a high clockspeed , plus I just like squeezing more out of what a CPU is designed to run at.

Of course I could get a better cooler, push up the volts and take the 2500k to 5Ghz (if possible) and also upgrade the RAM to 2200 mhz. This will give a performance gain but I'm reluctant to plough money into a platform which is several generations old.

Comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
£500 budget for a new cpu, mobo, ram and cooler (unless I can reuse the existing one).

Everything else will come from the old system, but if I can squeeze in a new psu to that'll be nice because the existing one is 5 years old.

Anyone care to spec me?

Caporegime
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £512.97
(includes shipping: £11.10)

But I dont think you do need a new PSU, yours will still have life in it, so you could either save the money or spend it on a better board such as the X270 Gaming K5 or get the Ryzen 1700 which comes with a stock cooler (which the 1600 also comes with).

This cooler supports AM4, I havent seen anything about any brackets being available for your existing cooler.

Soldato
OP
Thanks stulid :)

I'll look into that shopping list, space is tight in my 10 year old case so I'll have to do some research on the dimensions.

Regarding the psu I've had problems in the past with upgrading the platform and using the old psu, so intending to start afresh.

Mobowise I'm not fussy about all the extra peripherals such as bluetooth etc but I do want a solid overclocker.

If I were to set aside the desire for a new psu, and up the budget to incorporate a new cooler, what is the best bang for buck mobo/cpu/ram bundle with good overclocking capability for £500?

Soldato
I'm used to having super duper overclocking CPUs
where are the real overclocking gems?
I just like squeezing more out of what a CPU is designed to run at.
I like Stulid's suggestion and think that would be a great setup, however if you are super set on overclocking then I should warn you it's not very impressive on Ryzen. A lot of owners can't even get the chips manually overclocked to their max turbo speed (which is understandable as there are 8 cores to get up) so bear in mind that if overclocking and big MHz give you a rush you will be lucky to see north of 4GHz.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your input ubersonic. I wasn't sure about the overclocking capabilities of Ryzen, just that lots of people are talking about it.

What are the best overclocking Intel CPUs at the moment and what sort of gains are to be made on high end air?

Back
Top Bottom