Yet another 775 rig not POSTing,

Soldato
I built this for someone else...

New bits:
Asus p35 P5k
Crappy Thermaltake Case
Mhel 500W PSU (are these any good? - 12v Rail is 19A)

Bits he already had:
P4 CPU
4 x 512MB DDR2 PC4200 RAM
Asus 9600GT

So I put it all together and no POST.

So, what can I try to make it work...

I've got some known working ram, 3 working PSU's, a working 7800GT, and a E4300 but I can't pull this as it's in my WC rig...

Help please, what shall I swap first, PSU?

J.D

J.D

Soldato
Did you reset CMOS?.

PSU I don't know about. 19amps seems a little on the lower side but I couldn't see the PC not posting at all because of this :confused:.

I'd try RAM first as it's easiest to do, then the PSU and lastly the CPU. If you have to mess around with your own kit then just get to it as you'll stress yourself out thinking about how to test these parts rather than just getting it done and out the way.

Soldato
Last time I had a NO POST it was down to bent pins in the 775 Socket, I`d have a close inspection of those tiny pins they should all look exactly the same, if any look ever so slightly different then that will be your problem.

Mine didn't look *that* bent or different it was only a very minor inperfection at most and I couldn't totally believe it was the reason, it was only when I saw what pins in a normal socket is supposed to look like that I realised it didn't look right.

Got the board replaced and all was well, but unfortunately becuase I reseated the CPU so many times trying to get the machine to POST one of the gold contacts on the CPU came off as well so I had to get that replaced too, with both replacements I was sorted.

Soldato
OP
Ok, I've tried changing the PSU, no luck, but when searching for the PSU, I found a "PC Analyser" thing. I've not tried it before, I bought it ages ago hoping it would prove useful... Here it is:

imgp1360jy4.jpg

Now the manual for it is really bad english (probably translated), I'm reading thru it right now. I'm guessing the 39 is a BIOS error code? Any idea what is means?

I'll check what P4 it is, can I find out just by looking at the code on the chip?

EDIT: In the manual, it says 39 means "Displaying bus initialization error messages"... Could this be GFX related?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi,

What P4 did you install, link below is the list cpu's the board can take.

Just to confirm you have installed all power cables to the motherboard ie the 4 or 8 pin by the cpu.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5K

Rob
Ok, I whipped off the heatsink, it's a Pentium D 820. So I'm guessing it's ok as the asus site mentions these:

Pentium D 820 (2.8 GHz, 800 FSB, revA0)
Pentium D 820 (2.8 GHz, 800 FSB, revB0)

I'm not sure of the Rev bit tho, so here's a pic, does anyone know if this is A or B?

intellllua9.jpg

Associate
Last time I had a NO POST it was down to bent pins in the 775 Socket, I`d have a close inspection of those tiny pins they should all look exactly the same, if any look ever so slightly different then that will be your problem.

Mine didn't look *that* bent or different it was only a very minor inperfection at most and I couldn't totally believe it was the reason, it was only when I saw what pins in a normal socket is supposed to look like that I realised it didn't look right.

Got the board replaced and all was well, but unfortunately becuase I reseated the CPU so many times trying to get the machine to POST one of the gold contacts on the CPU came off as well so I had to get that replaced too, with both replacements I was sorted.

sorry to hijack thread, but did you get a rma with bent pin.
i had same and had it refused, reason user damage. not from overclockers tho.

Soldato
sorry to hijack thread, but did you get a rma with bent pin.
i had same and had it refused, reason user damage. not from overclockers tho.

Yes I reported the fault(s) within 7 days of recieving the items and I got an RMA on both the motherboard and the CPU. My order wasn't with ocUK either, it was with d**s.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom