Yet another PC build advise thread, budget £800

Associate
I think it is about time to upgrade my old PC. I can probably salvage the 550W PSU, Nvidia 970 Graphics card and numerous hard drives. Maybe also the DVD drive otherwise the rest is a junk old Dell Inspiron.

Been looking through the forums and would like to cap budget at £800 all inclusive and came up with this

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £687.10 (includes shipping: £13.20)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/benq-gc2870h-28-1920x1080-va-widescreen-led

My questions are what else do I need? Do I need to buy a CPU fan or do they now come with the cpu, and if so what do you recommend.

I have a Window 10 key

Can the build be improved on. I don't need to spend more unless it significantly improves the build.

I have not used AMD in a long time but seems recommended here. I chose the monitor based on price, is it worth paying more for larger better or better.

Please advise before I click buy, I have been lurking these forums for far too long, time to treat myself . Mass Effect Andromeda is waiting. also I need to finish GTA5 with silky smooth graphics​

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can probably salvage the 550W PSU, Nvidia 970 Graphics card and numerous hard drives.
just make sure that the 550w is of a reasonable quality.
also, if the drives are old, the odds of them failing are that much higher - could be worth it to consolidate those drives?
if you don't have an ssd, then getting an ssd for your new build will make a lot of sense.
My questions are what else do I need? Do I need to buy a CPU fan or do they now come with the cpu, and if so what do you recommend.
you don't need an aftermarket cooler. the 1600 comes with a very decent stock cooler. the thermal paste, also isn't needed either.
I chose the monitor based on price, is it worth paying more for larger better or better.
1080p for a 28inch monitor won't look so great.
i'd recommend a 24inch monitor for 1080p gaming - which will pair nicely with your 970 (and ryzen 1600)

Soldato
How.manu hard drives ? Cases above and most midi cases only take 2x HDD

If you've got more then 2. Recommend bequiet Pure 600

Total: £96.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

If not, the P300 is a solid choice !

Core components listed above is solid as well and good customer service if needs be . Should be able to do 3.6ghz on stock cooler
You fill need at least a 140mm fan, that case doesn't come with any, just an exhaust !

If you want to hit 3.9ghz then basic AIO should do the trick

Total: £63.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Associate
OP
just make sure that the 550w is of a reasonable quality
yeah it is a relative new and high quality in anticipation of this build
also, if the drives are old, the odds of them failing are that much higher
very fair comment, I had a portable hard drive die with irreplaceable stuff once:confused:. I will look into this
the thermal paste, also isn't needed either
I thought you needed to paste the top of the CPU. ??
If you've got more then 2. Recommend bequiet Pure 600
4 drives. 2 act as one striped for the OS, then a separate games drive and my storage drive. I think I might take the advise above and get a new drive and your suggested case.
If you want to hit 3.9ghz then basic AIO should do the trick
what I do is build it first and then look at the performance with my old Graphics card then maybe have a go at this

Thanks for the info, especially the crucial info on the cases. exact reason I thought I dropped my spec here before I buy

Man of Honour
I thought yo
u needed to paste the top of the CPU. ??
don't need it. already comes pre-applied on the cooler.
very fair comment, I had a portable hard drive die with irreplaceable stuff once:confused:. I will look into this
back-up, back-up, back-up again - even with a new drive
4 drives. 2 act as one striped for the OS, then a separate games drive and my storage drive. I think I might take the advise above and get a new drive and your suggested case.
it sounds like you do not have an ssd. please please please get one ;) it's the single biggest quality of life upgrade you can do to a computer.

overbudget, but costs can be trimmed :)
Total: £932.59 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Associate
OP
firstly, thanks guys for the help, appreciated, I will take a picture and post here when I get it early net year.
ok i agree I need a new hard drive, and I did a little research; what your take on the M2 format instead of SSD
ie Blue 3D NAND 500GB M.2 2280 6Gbps Solid State Drive (S500G2B0B) same price to suggested SSD and similar performance but no wires.
I am visiting a mate to see his 26" monitor over the weekend before I decide on the screen size.

Soldato
M.2 drives whether SATA 3 or NVMe are nice due to not have wires like you said .
Believe SATA 3 based ones don't get as hot as NVMe drives for throttling as well, but they only did throttle or get very hot from massive file writes.

Clone your main OS drive straight to if

Man of Honour
what your take on the M2 format instead of SSD
ie Blue 3D NAND 500GB M.2 2280 6Gbps Solid State Drive (S500G2B0B) same price to suggested SSD and similar performance but no wires.
it's the same price, but the WD blue performs marginally slower. but yes, you get the benefit of a smaller format. it's still a SATA drive and doesn't make use of the NVMe interface.
(but for the budget, not a bad drive)

I am visiting a mate to see his 26" monitor over the weekend before I decide on the screen size.
if you're looking for a bigger screen, then you'll want a higher resolution - its all about the dpi/ppi - 91ish ppi = 24inch@1080 = 32inch@1440. 27inch@1080 = 81 ppi
also to drive a higher resolution in games, then the gpu needs to be fast enough :p

Soldato
it's the same price, but the WD blue performs marginally slower. but yes, you get the benefit of a smaller format. it's still a SATA drive and doesn't make use of the NVMe interface.
(but for the budget, not a bad drive)

if you're looking for a bigger screen, then you'll want a higher resolution - its all about the dpi/ppi - 91ish ppi = 24inch@1080 = 32inch@1440. 27inch@1080 = 81 ppi
also to drive a higher resolution in games, then the gpu needs to be fast enough :p

The WD has faster write and read 560/530 Vs 540/520 but there ideal manufactures testing and in terms of loading a game. Means jack all :) prob in the hundredths of seconds.

If you see a cracking deal on an SSD whether NVMe/ m.2 sata or traditional 3.5" - get it :)

If your creating an AI then would be a different story :D

As mentioned with the resolution.
If you do go 26/7" for 1080p , you'll have very large pixel dots, which means you have to turn up AA and AF settings higher then with a 24" screen to smooth out the ragged edges .

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you see a cracking deal on an SSD whether NVMe/ m.2 sata or traditional 3.5" - get it :)
yup, that'll be the 850evo on ocuk at the moment. or, the crucial mx300 525gb - can be had for just over £100 if one looks around
(for nearly 50 squids less - my pick would be the mx300)

Associate
OP
Bought the components and took pics. see
https://imgur.com/a/Rbvu6
Not everything was in stock so had to get alternatives. Had to get the Night hawk version of ram which was slightly more expensive. Opted for the M.2 drive for the experience.
Thanks everyone for the advise and will spend weekend building it and thanks to Overclockers for the little bag of Haribo sweets the sent with the order.
BTW the delivery note said I got a free game, Quake Champions (AMD promotion). how do I get this, presumably steam key?

Man of Honour
Nooooo....send it back!! Honestly, it's in the m.2 form factor but it's not a nvme drive. Look at the specs, it's a sata SSD. Not worth it! An m.2 nvme drive will hit read/write speeds of >1500mb/s

Soldato
Nooooo....send it back!! Honestly, it's in the m.2 form factor but it's not a nvme drive. Look at the specs, it's a sata SSD. Not worth it! An m.2 nvme drive will hit read/write speeds of >1500mb/s

Sata 3 is fine honestly . Only if there was a killer deal on NVMe drive is it work it .

Back
Top Bottom