Yet another Streacom FC8 thread! This time in its silver form...

Soldato
FYI all, Streacom launched an FC8 EVO with USB3 ports and 2 more heatpipes as standard.

Also for those adding heatpipes I've seen a few posts where people have suggested pipe benders and the like to avoid the bends like the OP has ;) I couldnt do a better job myself tho...

Great to see the mobo I want to use works fine with this case!

Soldato
Im thinking of going the same route but worried about the GPU - I do some video editing/after effects work so Im guessing this will a) need a decent graphics card b) be a little taxing for it? (Unless after effects, premiere pro etc use the CPU more?
If not - anyone got any ideas for the most efficient high powered passive graphics card to use?

Caporegime
Is there any reason you changed out the wifi card on the MB? I have the same board and the wifi appears to be rubbish (in fact basically non existent) so wondering if changing the card out would give a big benefit.

Soldato
OP
Im thinking of going the same route but worried about the GPU - I do some video editing/after effects work so Im guessing this will a) need a decent graphics card b) be a little taxing for it? (Unless after effects, premiere pro etc use the CPU more?
If not - anyone got any ideas for the most efficient high powered passive graphics card to use?
Just seen this! I can't really comment on the requirements of those programs but the card I have in mine (HD6450) is really the highest I could recommend. It gets very hot and anything faster whilst doing video editing I'm sure will create even more heat.

Is there any reason you changed out the wifi card on the MB? I have the same board and the wifi appears to be rubbish (in fact basically non existent) so wondering if changing the card out would give a big benefit.
Well I had it lying around and I've always had good experiences with Intel Wifi cards so didn't see any reason not to. I didn't try the stock card myself, I just assumed it would be rubbish. Using the Intel card with the AsRock wifi antenna and had no problems so far.

Associate
Really glad I found this post. I'm planning a build with the FC8 Evo and this thread has given me better info and pics than I've been able to find anywhere. Was originally planning on going with the Wesena ITX5 but really want to see if I could use the passive features of this case.

I plan on using an undervolted Core i5 3570k. The new 'Evo' model supports up to 95w thanks to a new CPU block, and more heatpipes (with a new design) so an undervolted 77w should be perfectly fine.

What worries me more, is the video card. There are zero ventilation holes on the side where the video card will be. In my opinion this would've made a giant difference in the types of cards you could put in this case.

Nonetheless, I'm going to risk putting in an AMD HD 7750 (with fan) and see how it goes. It's roughly half the TDP of my HD5770, but double that of the HD 6450 in your build, so I'm a little nervous. I think the fan should make a big difference though. A passive heatsink in such a tiny enclosed area would just stew in its own heat. I have a few other ideas to reduce heat as well but I'll wait til I run tests before entertaining them.

Soldato
OP
Hey, glad it's helped you!

I agree with you, I think an undervolted 77W CPU will be fine. How often do your run at 100% CPU? Not that often I bet. Games wouldn't run at that level for extended periods. The case cools my CPU more than adequately so an updated design such as in the EVO should work great with your i5.

You are correct again with regards to the GPU causing more of an issue. In my case it's due to the fact that it's a passive card and as you say there is nowhere for the heat to go. Having a fan cooled card should make a hell of a difference but I can't really comment on how it will do with a more powerful card like the HD7750. You just have to try it and see!

Caporegime
Really glad I found this post. I'm planning a build with the FC8 Evo and this thread has given me better info and pics than I've been able to find anywhere. Was originally planning on going with the Wesena ITX5 but really want to see if I could use the passive features of this case.

I plan on using an undervolted Core i5 3570k. The new 'Evo' model supports up to 95w thanks to a new CPU block, and more heatpipes (with a new design) so an undervolted 77w should be perfectly fine.

What worries me more, is the video card. There are zero ventilation holes on the side where the video card will be. In my opinion this would've made a giant difference in the types of cards you could put in this case.

Nonetheless, I'm going to risk putting in an AMD HD 7750 (with fan) and see how it goes. It's roughly half the TDP of my HD5770, but double that of the HD 6450 in your build, so I'm a little nervous. I think the fan should make a big difference though. A passive heatsink in such a tiny enclosed area would just stew in its own heat. I have a few other ideas to reduce heat as well but I'll wait til I run tests before entertaining them.

I had some serious heat issues with my 3570k but undervolting it by 0.1v* reduced the temperature significantly, although I had to underclock it by 5% as well to get it stable.

*0.15v was slightly unstable unfortunately

Back
Top Bottom