• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

"You haven't seen hot until you've own a 290x"

Man of Honour
I know what the OP means. I had a watercooled GTX 480 and didn't understand why people said they were hot or loud. Mine was really quiet and around 50-60ºC under load.

I had a pair of 470s... latterly running 1.1v/900MHz - that was hot and loud (though not a problem aslong as you were expelling the heat fast enough into an environment that wasn't saturated by it).

Originally had them running at ~800MHz on stock voltage and while they produced a lot of heat the fan was still running low enough not to be a problem.

For the performance and price I paid wasn't going to complain about it.

(If it wasn't for the relatively low VRAM being a huge bottleneck now I'd still be running them today).

Last edited:
Permabanned
I've seen this statement around a lot of this part of the forum. But I fail to see it with mine?

The hottest I've ever seen mine was 81c overclocked running the heaven benchmark. Usually hovers around the 65/70c mark when gaming. Which yeah I agree it is hot but still compared to what I've seen other people posting with other cards, the TX, 980.. They're all about the same?

So clear this up for me please? :)

There's plenty of hot non-reference 290x's around, I bought an MSI Twin Frozer 290x gaming 4 gb. I found it was hitting 94 degrees on a regular basis with no additional overclocking by me. My previous card which was a 780 Classified was 20 degrees cooler under load in the same PC so I contacted Overclocker who told me it was a common thing with the MSI cards and not an issue.
I went to a few other forums and found that plenty of people suffer from this and it tends to be people who own either the Asus DCU11 or the MSI Twin frozer gaming models that suffer from it.
The general consensus seemed to be that it is more of an issue with these brands because the coolers where not designed specifically for the chip like say Sapphires models are. Both Asus and MSI cheaped out and used what had been tried and tested coolers on other cards not these. I've owned plenty of MSI cards and even had the 4gb MSI Twin frozer 770 last year and it was identical in every way to the 290x model, Obviously I did not own them at the same time to do a side by side comparison but from memory there's no difference, It was great as a 770 cooler but as a 290x cooler it's not and I won't buy an MSI again for a long time because of it. Or an Asus unless I can see they built the cooler for the card and didn't recycle it, It's similar in a way to EVGA's version 1 ACX 970's. The cooler was not suitable for the chip and when your paying 400+ as it was at the time (talking about my MSI TF 290x again) for a gpu that's not on..

Soldato
There's plenty of hot non-reference 290x's around, I bought an MSI Twin Frozer 290x gaming 4 gb. I found it was hitting 94 degrees on a regular basis with no additional overclocking by me. My previous card which was a 780 Classified was 20 degrees cooler under load in the same PC so I contacted Overclocker who told me it was a common thing with the MSI cards and not an issue.
I went to a few other forums and found that plenty of people suffer from this and it tends to be people who own either the Asus DCU11 or the MSI Twin frozer gaming models that suffer from it.
The general consensus seemed to be that it is more of an issue with these brands because the coolers where not designed specifically for the chip like say Sapphires models are. Both Asus and MSI cheaped out and used what had been tried and tested coolers on other cards not these. I've owned plenty of MSI cards and even had the 4gb MSI Twin frozer 770 last year and it was identical in every way to the 290x model, Obviously I did not own them at the same time to do a side by side comparison but from memory there's no difference, It was great as a 770 cooler but as a 290x cooler it's not and I won't buy an MSI again for a long time.

I had almost the same experience. Got a 290 gaming the first day it was available and it replaced the 680 lightning I had. Immediately i noticed it hit 95C and was by no means quiet. I tried everything and rang Ocuk asking if I could replace the thermal paste and they offered a full refund. I took it as the performance jump was unnoticeable and I wasn't happy paying £360 for a space heater.

The 680 lightning used the same cooler (except yellow and different fin direction) and previous twin frozr generations I have personally been stunned by :cool: so I have only a little beef with msi.

The problem is that no matter how good the cooler is, the card is still making just as much heat which is still being transfered into your case.

Soldato
OP
My MSI card is great :D no problems with MSI here, I have no brand preference with anything though. If it looks good and is good value for money, I'll buy it. Although, not overly happy with how mine looks. Tempted to take the yellows bits out and spray it red.

Well thanks for clearing my confusion! :)

Soldato
I wouldn't mine seeing someone put a Titan reference HAF on a 290x and see how well it performs. IMO the 290x is disadvantaged due the smaller die surface area and more power it uses to run the reference cooler done a good enough job on former top end cards like the 5870 after all.

Soldato
That's nothing. My old 8800GT would hit 125C (albeit under furmark :D)

MY 280x's behave well actually, the top card rarely hits 80C unless I have a long gaming session and case temps creep up.

Associate
6B9C0C41-D083-4BF0-94D4-560E08A6A0B5_zpsc6abidhv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG
]

Permabanned
Surely you have to question peoples case airflow etc?

The 780 Classified ran 20 degrees cooler in the same build. The case is a Corsair Vengeance C70 with all fan positions filled with aftermarket fans from Corsair and Noctua, I spent around 70 quid on replacement case fans since owning the 290x and it hasn't really helped, Changing the thermal paste helped a bit though as did removing the H100 I used before my Be quiet air cooler (cpu) and sticking 14cm Noctua's in it's place in the roof for additional exhaust also helped a tad but it still tops 90 degrees.

Permabanned
I had almost the same experience. Got a 290 gaming the first day it was available and it replaced the 680 lightning I had. Immediately i noticed it hit 95C and was by no means quiet. I tried everything and rang Ocuk asking if I could replace the thermal paste and they offered a full refund. I took it as the performance jump was unnoticeable and I wasn't happy paying £360 for a space heater.

The 680 lightning used the same cooler (except yellow and different fin direction) and previous twin frozr generations I have personally been stunned by :cool: so I have only a little beef with msi.

The problem is that no matter how good the cooler is, the card is still making just as much heat which is still being transfered into your case.

You was lucky I contacted Overclockers and they told me it was perfectly fine, They even claimed to have the same exact gpu in one of the Overclockers office PC's hitting the same temps. Basically I wasn't getting a refund.

This is what they said too me (copy/pasted)

"The 290x cards do run hot, we have one on our monitor test rig and under load it runs at 95c all day long.

Regards,

Jargan

Ours is a MSI 290x gaming edition with two fans."

Last edited:
Soldato
While on BF4 my 290X gets to around 73c with a custom fan profile ( 55% fan speed) in afterburner ...but cools very quickly , and sits at idle around 32-34c , with the same fan profile my 780 would reach about 68c and at idle sit at around 26c

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom