You thought Hermes was bad...

Soldato
Thats nothing, ordered something from Germany and they sent it to USA.

How can my Welsh address be confused with USA ( no dont answer that lol )

Soldato
That's a thing that's made me wonder recently. When/if I order something from amazon (e.g. I ordered a pair of pliers for £1.80 or something the other week).

£1.80.

And some guy drives here to my house and gives them to me. One parcel. £1.80.

How on EARTH can that be cost effective? I mean ignoring vast swathes of the supply chain, his time, petrol, etc must be costing that, it took him a minute to get out his van and to me door. another couple of minutes to get into the estate. goodness knows how long it took someone to find it in warehouse, box it up, put it in the van then he drives all the way to my estate

It must be effectively 'free' for Amazon to deliver these kind of products, I mean everybody's costs, whether he delivered that parcel to me or not, are essentially the same, no ? It's like if I spit in the ocean does it get deeper ? If amazon does or doesn't delivery my letter post does it make any difference to anything cost wise?
Read Good Strategy/Bad Strategy or at the very least look up how Walmart are so successful.

An Amazon van is delivering x thousand parcels. The more people buying from Amazon, the more justification to dedicated one van to a smaller more confined delivery area. The cost of delivering your parcel in a quiet week may be >£1 but in an "optimal" week I guarantee the cost of delivery is less than a few pence.

Soldato
Read Good Strategy/Bad Strategy or at the very least look up how Walmart are so successful.

An Amazon van is delivering x thousand parcels. The more people buying from Amazon, the more justification to dedicated one van to a smaller more confined delivery area. The cost of delivering your parcel in a quiet week may be >£1 but in an "optimal" week I guarantee the cost of delivery is less than a few pence.

exactly.. somehow it's literally a few pence. which is very nearly free.

will check this out though thanks for the recommendation Good Strategy/Bad Strategy

Soldato
exactly.. somehow it's literally a few pence. which is very nearly free.
Okay next recommendation - read the book "Abundance". With automation, literally everything will enter a unit cost price of <£0. Only hand made/personalised/classic items will be of value.

And last recommendation - read the book about undersea cable laying. When the cost per megabyte model was challenged, loads of the major undersea cable firms went bust as it simply wasn't profitable as the per megabyte charge in ultra-high-density networks is also fractions of a cent.

Man of Honour
I had an order arriving via DPD earlier today - about the time it said it was arriving a DPD van approached, then just drove past, my heart sank but almost immediately another one appeared only for it to drive past as well, but then turn around a little way down the road and drive past again... a few moments later though just as I'd pretty much given up another one appeared and dropped my delivery off (possible the second one was just lost trying to find my property but it looked like a slightly different van that actually delivered).

Man of Honour
I thought the thread said "You thought Hamas was bad...".

I need a new pair of glasses :cool:

Don’t have them delivered by Hermes.

We know yanks can't do geography ... Films always say stuff like London, England and Paris, France

Well they got those two right, but they do it with all place names, hence New York, New York.
They do that in the U.S. to illustrate which one they mean, Washington D.C. or Washington CA, Warsaw IND or Warsaw ND.
Probably it’s why they say London, England, to differentiate from London, Ohio, and Paris France instead of Paris, Texas.

Man of Honour
Heh, that’s impressive. What used to amaze me when working in the US was ordering something next day delivery and it arriving on time from the other side of the US. So much air freight.

Man of Honour
Heh, that’s impressive. What used to amaze me when working in the US was ordering something next day delivery and it arriving on time from the other side of the US. So much air freight.

Maybe 16 - 18 years ago, my younger boy found a leather jacket online in a U.S. store, about $200, but circa $100 for shipping.
He asked me for suggestions, I knew that a good friend in NYC was planning a vacation in Madrid in a few months time, so I emailed her and had the jacket delivered to her place, and she brought it to Madrid.
I then arranged a weekend in Madrid for me and my wife, coinciding with my friend’s trip.
We had a blast in Madrid, I collected my kid’s jacket, he loved it, and everybody won.

Associate

I while ago I would trade beer quite often with a friend in New Jersey as he loved European beer and I loved US beer. The cheapest shipping usually found through a comparison site would be with an unknown carrier named something like 'Transglobal Logistics' or something similar, but it was actually just carried by UPS the whole way, despite it being about a quarter of the UPS price.

From London, I would drop a big heavy box of beer at the local UPS point, a Polish market in my case which was about 30 feet from my front door, before 5pm and it would be on his front porch in NJ the next morning.

Caporegime
With a cheque guarantee card number on the back, a cheque was as good as cash.
I remember these from back in my retail days, I was a supervisor in Argos and had to verify each cheque (by writing said details on the back of the cheque for the till operator)

Other were good only up to the value on the card, peasants got £50, better accounts £100-£250, rarely you’d see a £500 cheque guarantee card, it was very rare.

Any sum over the card limit you had to phone to get a telephone authorisation, seem to remember the service being called Transax.

Why can I remember this stuff from the late 80’s with clarity yet can’t recall what I did last week? :o :D

Caporegime
That's a thing that's made me wonder recently. When/if I order something from amazon (e.g. I ordered a pair of pliers for £1.80 or something the other week).

£1.80.

And some guy drives here to my house and gives them to me. One parcel. £1.80.

How on EARTH can that be cost effective? I mean ignoring vast swathes of the supply chain, his time, petrol, etc must be costing that, it took him a minute to get out his van and to me door. another couple of minutes to get into the estate. goodness knows how long it took someone to find it in warehouse, box it up, put it in the van then he drives all the way to my estate

It must be effectively 'free' for Amazon to deliver these kind of products, I mean everybody's costs, whether he delivered that parcel to me or not, are essentially the same, no ? It's like if I spit in the ocean does it get deeper ? If amazon does or doesn't delivery my letter post does it make any difference to anything cost wise? (even in the snow. sorry)

It's the same concept the entire world economy uses.

Things are only so cheap to the individual, because so many people buy them.

Caporegime
That’s the problem with shipping things across large countries or between distant countries. If someone puts your parcel in the wrong bin/on the wrong truck, it doesn’t end up 100 miles awry, it’s 1,000s of miles away from where it should be.
all Vans are fully loaded, no space to store the item, what you going to do? just chuck it in the system again, better luck next time

Man of Honour
I remember these from back in my retail days, I was a supervisor in Argos and had to verify each cheque (by writing said details on the back of the cheque for the till operator)

Many moons ago, when I first started driving a Black Cab, occasionally punters wanted to pay by cheque, but it could drive you nuts faffing about writing their card number on the back when they got out.
Naturally the ones paying by this method were the ones who asked you to stop in awkward places, almost inside the studs of a pedestrian crossing etc, or in a narrow street, so you’d go deaf with those delayed behind you sounding their horns.
Eventually, if a job hailed me and asked if he/she could pay by cheque, I’d say no, which I was perfectly entitled to do.
Of course, if they said, “Heathrow please, Terminal 4, and may I pay by cheque?”, I’d drag them through the door.

Caporegime
'A Memoir' by Jean-F coming to cinemas 2021 [Dir: L. Besson]

'A Memoir' by Jean-F, a novel [Pub: Penguin/Random House]

I would watch this film and then read the book and then do it all again just like Katy Perry :giddy like a school girl:

Make it happen.

Back
Top Bottom