YouFibre

Soldato
I've been live since November and was given an eero 6+ for my 1gig service. I had to remove it as YouFibre's config blocked my eero plus subscription.

maj

maj

Soldato
I also got an Eero for 1gb and was not given any alternative. Been a customer since October.

WiFi range isn't the best. Just have the one router and no mesh and I get 200mbps upstairs with router downstairs.

Luckily there's an ethernet port where youfibre put their ONT so I'm hard wired to my computer via a switch.

The Eero app does everything I need it to do for a standard home network. The router would benefit from extra ethernet ports though.

Associate
I've been researching YouFibre as they say it is available in my area. I've just asked them in Chat about the router they provide and have received this answer:

"The 1000 [package] usually comes with the Eero 6 or Pro 6 router, it is wifi 6 capable and has one spare ethernet port for your use.
The only time you would get a different router on the 1000 is if you have a landline with us, then you would get the Arris Arris NVG568LX or HLX or LX1"

I've currently got an 8-port switch but I reckon I'll need to upgrade it, as well as my Wifi extenders in order to benefit throughout the house. More expense... (or new toys).

Associate
Just got YouFibre 500 Mbps installed today, only took them 90 minutes and they installed it to my upstairs office when the old Virgin connection was installed.

Have re-configured the Eero 6 router for my home network settings and going to swap it over tomorrow, all working well and the install guys were excellent.

Been with Virgin for years now and they increased my M200 connection price, gave them a chance and they offered me an M500 connection but it was still £20.00 per month more then the YouFibre deal, also remembered last time I had a fixed contract with Virgin they increased the price on me after only a couple of months after they had just given me a new deal !

*** Update ***

Looks like I spoke too soon - pings keep failing to the DNS and eventually stops and I have no internet - light on the eero box then goes red, if I restart the netomnia box it comes back up and seems OK for an hour or so then goes down again - have logged a ticket with Youfibre.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looks like I spoke too soon - pings keep failing to the DNS and eventually stops and I have no internet - light on the eero box then goes red, if I restart the netomnia box it comes back up and seems OK for an hour or so then goes down again - have logged a ticket with Youfibre.
What DNS are you using? If it's the ISP one, change it to 9.9.9.9 or Cloudflare.

Associate
What DNS are you using? If it's the ISP one, change it to 9.9.9.9 or Cloudflare.
Had changed the network settings to 192.168.0.0 and the DNS to Google, I have set them both back to default settings now DNS is set to 1.1.1.1 Cloudflare, been better today dropped out for a few minutes this afternoon but seems to be getting more stable. Will keep 9.9.9.9 in mind if still having issues - thanks.

*** Update ***

Still having issues tried 9.9.9.9 but it still keeps having issues when pinging the DNS and internet keeps going down.

Have just turned off IPv6 in the eero router and the pings now to the DNS seem to be stable so see how this goes, also have a service visit booked for next Tuesday.

Last edited:
Associate
I can't decide whether to go for the 500 or 1000mbit connection (with 10% off).

The difference in cost is so small it seems silly not to go for the full gigabit connection, but at the same time only my desktop is connected by ethernet, everything else is connected by WiFi and there's only 3-4 of us in the house.

Caporegime
I'm not sure this is covered by "future proofing" - it's not like 500Mbps is delivered over copper and 1Gbps is delivered over fibre, there's not a different ONT installed, there's no "wasted" installation costs involved with picking 500Mbps over 1Gbps and then upgrading later.

For £2 a month I'd just go with the full gigabit option, but you are unlikely to benefit in any way from it judging by your usage.

Alternatively if you want a non-CGNAT IP this is a £5/month addon so spending the money on that might be more sensible.

Associate
I just got a new YouFibre line put in. Went for the gigabit as it was a couple of quid more.

I speed tested a few devices. Surprisingly, my MacBook Pro (2015) can get 800 Mbps over WiFi, so if you want your downloads to be as fast as possible, definitely get gigabit. Of course 500 Mbps will also be super fast.

Got the Arris Router as I’m getting a VoIP line, but got them to swap it out for an uprated ONT so that I can plug the phone into that. I want to use my own router/mesh and control my LAN. You can request the Adtran SDX622V to get a VoIP line and still use your own (non-VoIP) router.

Soldato
Currently I'm on talk talk ftc and not looking to change until my contract ends later this year, but we can get You fibre and Netomnia is "coming soon", so interested in investigating other options. Are you fibre and Netomnia the same? Strange they give different info if so!

If you get a fibre connection installed, are you tied to youfibre/netomnia? i.e if 2 years later you want to use a different isp, is that line redundant if you don't renew?

Would a different isp need to install a new connection?

Where do they install the socket in your house? I presume it's a fibre optic socket of some sort? Will they only install on the front wall? Neighbours had Virgin installed a year or two ago and they ran a cable from the street under the front garden and a foot or so up the front wall, so I presume that's where their socket/modem is?

Our phone lines are overhead and Netomnia have been putting boxes on the telegraph poles. Do they run new overhead cables?

When we were renovating our house and knocked the wall down where the old BT master socket was, BT happily installed a new master socket in an upstairs cupboard where my network equipment is all located.

Last edited:
Associate
Questions
Why wait? That £300 contract buy out is there for a reason.

Netomnia is the network infrastructure builder. YouFibre is the customer facing ISP. The line would be redundant but I don't see why you would want to switch to anyone else. Generally installation location is up to you within reason. If you have a super specific location that's harder to do they will likely do it but don't expect any Christmas cards.

Most likely it will be via telegraph poles since it's the cheapest way. You can even just get them to use the same hole as the current BT master socket when you take advantage of the in contract buy out.

Associate
Currently I'm on talk talk ftc and not looking to change until my contract ends later this year, but we can get You fibre and Netomnia is "coming soon", so interested in investigating other options. Are you fibre and Netomnia the same? Strange they give different info if so!
I think so. Netomnia put the fibre in on our street.
If you get a fibre connection installed, are you tied to youfibre/netomnia? i.e if 2 years later you want to use a different isp, is that line redundant if you don't renew?

Yep.
Would a different isp need to install a new connection?
Unless they were also on NetOmnia, but I think it's only You on there
Where do they install the socket in your house? I presume it's a fibre optic socket of some sort? Will they only install on the front wall? Neighbours had Virgin installed a year or two ago and they ran a cable from the street under the front garden and a foot or so up the front wall, so I presume that's where their socket/modem is?

Our phone lines are overhead and Netomnia have been putting boxes on the telegraph poles. Do they run new overhead cables?
We got a new overhead cable (already have an old copper BT one), then a socket on the front wall. The guy said we could put it wherever we'd like, but the network equipment is conveniently next to front wall for us.
When we were renovating our house and knocked the wall down where the old BT master socket was, BT happily installed a new master socket in an upstairs cupboard where my network equipment is all located.

Associate
I think I'll go for the gigabit connection. When I looked the other day, it was £30.99 p/m but it seems to have dropped to £29.99, which is only £2 more than 500 even if the extra speed will be rarely utilised.

Associate
Service engineer came yesterday and said there was an issue with my connection - checked it out and found light bleeding from the fiber cable in the connection box outside my house - remade the connections and the connections in the netomnia box and all now working well for over 24 hours.

Now I just have to cancel the Virgin Media connection which I have head can be lots of fun !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom