Your best hardware purchases?

Associate
Release day PS3no.1 and my new ps3 slim (as the old one is broken, as of yesterday).
Pc wise probably my MX510 that died a few years ago, as an RMA I got a 2007 g5. So I've only really bought one mouse in ~8 years

Associate
Razer Deathadder 3500DPI, I love this mouse it is so comfy and it's suits my massive hands perfectly.
Sony Home cinema system, great for watching blu ray's on and last my xbox 360 slim, very quiet compared to my elite and the controller on 360's suit my hands as well :)
I have also purchased a sound blaster X-Fi titanium but I need to get a nice headset to see if it makes me go 'wow!'.

Associate
1. Q9550 - Amazing chip, overclocks nicely and handles anything I throw at it
2. Xbox 360 - had it since it came out and still play it and its still best console out full stop
3. Asus p5q deluxe - Never had a board so solid, overclocks are so easy, stable as anything never had any problems (best LGA775 board IMO)
4. OCZ Ram - got 2 rigs both with OCZ ram both are very fast and very reliable never had any problem with them (best ram IMO, Reapers F.T.W)
5. GTX 285 - was able to play almost every game with maxed settings was an amazing upgrade from 9500gt was so happy when I got this

Last edited:
Soldato
1 - Diamond Monster 3DFX Voodoo card (the Voodoo 1 if you like)
2 - Intel Celeron 400 which I overclocked to 500mhz (a bigger upgrade than you might imagine from the AMD K6-2 300 which I had clocked to 400mhz)
3 - GeForce 1 SDR 32MB (unbelievably massive upgrade over my Nvidia Riva TnT)
4 - Mitsubishi Diamondtron 17" monitor, (this was a major upgrade from my previous goldfish bowl)
5 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (my first dual core) and G.Skill 128GB SSD ...equally (both made me say wow in their own way)

Ok so I managed to get 6 into that least :)

I don't get the effect so much anymore as I have a lot more money now and I upgrade and change things around much more often than I used to, also I don't play all the latest games like I used to, I still play the same ones I did 10 years ago :p ...more or less.

Last edited:
Soldato
i would have to say either the 8800gt alpha dog edition i bought as a part of my first build (what a card, still runs modern games reasonably well although high temps) or my first decent case, the Antec902.

Associate
1. 80MB(!) Hard Drive upgrade for my Amiga 1200 - Everything became instant! Workbench loaded in seconds, games were wonderful!

2. My Amiga 1200 itself - had it for three years, experienced so much about computing *misty eyed rose tinted glasses indeed*

3. My 10Mb BNC Coax cable based Win98 home network for me and my mates at Uni - We just played and played and played Quake 2 till it got ridiculous......

4. Matrox Millenium & 3DFX Voodoo 1 - Quake 2 just looked awesome back then! Mates were we jelous

5. BT Home Highway - Dual channel bonded 128Kbps ISDN gave me 50ms pings in Counterstrike when everyone else had 200ms on 56Kb modems :p (Cost a bloody arm and a leg though!)

On to more 'PC' hardware related items....

1. DFI Lanparty Nforce2 Ultra - Really what started off my 'custom' build PC phase over all the other shop 'pre-builds' I'd ever bought at Uni. Those UV reactive slots have a lot to answer for!

2. Radeon 9600 Pro - Loved this little card. Half Life2 looked awesome.

3. Pentium D 805 - An absolutely atrocious processor from Intel, but it brought Dual core to the masses when released at £90. Dual Core - never go back to single core - Ever!

4. Lian Li PC60 - Thanks to this case, I have only ever owned Lian Li cases for my builds since 2004.

5. 4870 512MB Xfire - A reasonable sucess for me when owned, broke the 20,000 mark in 3DMark06 with it. Replaced with a single 5850 that did the same job on less power :D

Things I have to look forward to shortly:

i7 950
Asus Rampage 3 Gene
12GB DDR3 1600
AMD 6xxx Series card
Soundblaster XFi Titanium
Dual Corsair Force 60GB SSDs
Blu-Ray Drive
Corsair AX850 PSU
Lian Li PC-P50R Case :D

Mmmmmm gonna be another leap for me I thinks!

Soldato
my Q6600 without doubt. I don't honestly think Intel realised what they were releasing at the time. I seem to remember seeing Quad cores up at silly high prices and then all of a sudden the Q6600 pops up. As soon as the G0 version was in at OCUK I ordered one and it's still going now. The only reason I'll drop it from my main rig is when it ant play the games i want at the speeds I want. Since I'm not a Crysis fan its coping quite well with what I throw at it. Before the Q6600 I was buying and needing new chips every 12 months. Its been 3.5 years now.

Caporegime
my dell u2410 monitor is the best, no matter how good a gfx card etc you have if you dont have a good monitor its useless, the port hub is amazing.. by far my best purchase

my 920 D0 chip.. i had a laptop with a t7600 before.. for blue ray encodes

switching from nvidia to an ati as a permanent thing after a faulty blown gfx card destroyed my laptop

quite like my case too, its massive as its my first gaming pc.. and i like black/red

Associate
I think it was my Dell 2407WFP in June 2006 pre Worldcup. I paid at that time £700. It was my best purchase so far. Few months ago I was thinking why I did not go with the 3007WFP. Kind ironic.

Caporegime
SNES.

what a console!! and when the FX chip made its debut appearance in Starfox/Starwing FX it moved light years ahead of its rivals.

then Donkey kong Country came out with its SGI rendered graphics. Drool.

Associate
My only really decent decision was my Q6600. Never had any hardware that has lasted so well and been worth every penny.

I was surprised how much of a difference going widescreen made to my gaming experience but the image quality on my Samsung 2032BW isn't as good as the Viewsonic 17" it replaced.

Soldato
Amd Athlon 64! One of my Favorite CPUs my friend still used his to this day
iBook G4 my 1st laptop
Logitech Z5500 Great speakers for Pc gaming setup they held there value for years

Back
Top Bottom