Your brain in a jar

Soldato
Ok say you've had a fulfilling life but nearing time where your body is going into failure and dying of natural age, you have a choice of death, or your brain is placed in a jar. You can see and hear everything just now you have no body, your jar can be controlled by you as like a RC car. You can speak to people as well.

Would you take that choice?

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/images/oct2012/out_of_time.jpg

Soldato
As long as I had an endless supply of Game Thralls, whose daily life and death struggles, would provide me with entertainment :p

On a more serious note. Consider this..

Imagine that your Brain could be plugged into different "Bodies"

One day you could be Humanoid, but on another day, a flying machine, or a submersible, or even a space craft.

Sensors and actuator controls could have analogues with your own senses so you wouldn't just be controlling the machines, you would "Be" them.

Hmnn.

Soldato
reminds me of that robocop scene, or perhaps source code

If we ever had the technology to do that, we could probably be able to offer a kind of digital simulation sent straight to the brain. We'd have like a holodeck experience.

Would I like to live forever in order to see the evolution of mankind? Mmmmmmmm

Soldato
well, if we're assuming the kind of technology to maintain brain functionality (in a healthy state ie the brain itself isn't decaying) in a jar, and to interface it such that 2 of your principle senses remain intact and you can output controls.

then it's safe to assume that building it into a mechanical body is going to be an option, even if you may find yourself limited by range in terms of energy.

in which case yes, i'd go for that on the proviso that this isn't permanent irreversible immortality (ie that suicide is optional), imagine the cool stuff you could acheive when not limited by various issues the human body has (for example not having to worry about losing a limb, or even being eligible for space travel as you wont need anywhere near as much protection to live and work in space (as you just have to protect the jar and not a whole person, don't need oxygen, food water or toilet facilities)

i'd miss taste, and it'd probably take a bit of work to get around the whole not breathing thing, but it could be cool.

Soldato
to answer the OP's question, rather than tack on some extras about robot bodies.....would I like to 'live' as a brain in a jar? no, most definitely not (ask me again on my death bed though:p) imagine the torture of seeing or hearing someone you love but not being physically able to embrace them? or physically interact with them in anyway. you're basically in a living coma state.
thanks but I'll take my chances on the angels/nothingness

Soldato
I'd rather be a brain in a body. Not much you can do as a brain in a jar is there. There was an episode of Red Dwarf, where the crew met their future selves and the future Lister was a brain in a jar after some terrible accident. He was well smegged off!

Soldato
lol. I never clicked till now. Red Dwarf rocked. I wish they would make some more. :)

did dave's plans to bring out more not come to fruition then? i know they were thinking about it a few years back although we don't get dave the way our setup is so never saw if they did it.

we'll just have to make do with rick and morty....

Back
Top Bottom