Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Hopefully it'll be fine, what did you get? I'm gonna stick with frags and man made live rock, as my last tank got over run with beasties.

Will get a pic tomorrow, hit and miss SPS frags for me, out of 10 maybe 4 or 5 will survive, so spent a bit more on a cultured colony a bit more robust hopefully, also upped my euphyllia collection more torches and frogspawn.

Soldato
Will get a pic tomorrow, hit and miss SPS frags for me, out of 10 maybe 4 or 5 will survive, so spent a bit more on a cultured colony a bit more robust hopefully, also upped my euphyllia collection more torches and frogspawn.

The other drawback with colonies is I feel more guilty if they die. I want to try and be a bit more responsible this time. Also the frags at AAC are superb.

Associate
I got my male Betta last August from one of my local fish stores, I had noticed him starting to act a lot less active and not quite himself around the start of this year " January " he was laying on the bottom of the tank more and just generally sluggish.

I contacted the fish store in my town centre who have experience in keeping Bettas and always seem to stock them and was told his decline is old age as he will most likely of been at least 3 when I purchased him as this is age many places tend to sell them due to this being the age when they look most in their prime, I was also told not to expect him to live that much longer maybe a month at most.

He is still with me but is getting worse and worse all the time, he just floats at the top of the tank more often than not on his side like he can't seem to stay up right, he has recently lost a lot of his appetite and I will at most get him to eat one pellet, even his favourite frozen blood worms he will eat one and then just isn't bothered.

I test his water parameters regularly and they always come back fine, no ammonia or nitrite I have tried treating him with various things, aquarium salt, Esha, Melafix and nothing has helped, so I now am facing the difficult decision of do I just let him go naturally or do I euthanize him.

His quality of life has all but diminished and its horrible to watch him decline day by day could this indeed be old age or is it illness? I have never seen any signs of fin rot, fungus or stress e.g. ripping his own fins it just seem to be a gradual thing.

Associate
doesn't sound like old age to me. You might have been overfeeding and caused a swimbladder issue possibly. Google it for some more details but dont feed him for 2-3 days and it might improve.

He has now stopped eating entirely and has barely been eating before that though, he also looks very thin has lost a lot of his colour and his fins have gone very tatty. I have never overfed him only feeding one or two pellets daily and even blood worms we feed with tweezers so as not to over do it.

Soldato
My reef seems to be an ongoing battle once again, Stability is something im chasing once more especially Alk and Calcium seems my corals have decided.. its time to grow and are supping it very quickly :rolleyes: Gona have to set this auto doser up sooner than i had planned

Bought an orange spot goby too hes about 1.5 inch at moment sifting well and he ate some frozen mysis yesterday too so i know hes feeding so well happy there, Also decided to give a hermit ANOTHER go.. 3rd time lucky

Soldato
My amanos seem to eat some of it, but they much prefer algae and stealing fish food. I think most won't eat it unless it's all there is.

The easiest way is use aquarium soil as the substrate and let a carpet plant spread all over it, the plants will use the rotting waste.

Soldato
Which types of shrimp eat fish poop? My plec makes loads of waste and weekly water changes dont seem to cut it.

Shrimp don't 'eat' fish poo unless they are starving. They eat small morels of food that fish miss, biofilm and microforna that exists in the thank. They can break it down into small pieces which can get swept into the filter by the water flow but Cory's are better for this as they rummage around for food in the substrate.

If you are having issues with fish poo collecting in areas of the tank you can adjust your water flow so it gets picked up by the filter.

Any recommendations for an easy carpeting plant?

https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/helanthium-tenellum-green---tropica-1-2-grow-2361-p.asp

This grows like a weed and sends out runners so you will need to trim it regularly.

Soldato
I never had much luck with that plant for some reason.

The leafy ones tend to be easier than grasses I think. Don't go with grass if you have Corys though because they don't like it (to spikey for them to search through). It might take a couple of months before it really starts growing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Shrimp don't 'eat' fish poo unless they are starving. They eat small morels of food that fish miss, biofilm and microforna that exists in the thank. They can break it down into small pieces which can get swept into the filter by the water flow but Cory's are better for this as they rummage around for food in the substrate.

If you are having issues with fish poo collecting in areas of the tank you can adjust your water flow so it gets picked up by the filter.

https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/helanthium-tenellum-green---tropica-1-2-grow-2361-p.asp

This grows like a weed and sends out runners so you will need to trim it regularly.
Thanks, the filter is fixed in place in the corner of the tank so I can't really adjust anything other than the angle of the nozzle.

Back
Top Bottom